WAG Back handspring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

wizzie

I can jump over a octagonal shape mat without any problem. It's pretty big, but I still can get over it without touching it. When my coach goes to spot me, I guess I don't jump at all, and I always land on my butt.

I don't feel like I'm not jumping. I feel like I'm giving the same power that I do when I go over the mat. I don't know if it is partly a subconscious mental thing, maybe I'm just scared because I know the mat isn't behind me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

'I don't feel like I'm not jumping. I feel like I'm giving the same power that I do when I go over the mat.'
Maybe so, but is the power going up and back like when doing it over the mat? There are literally hundreds of drills and exercises, but at the end of the day, listen to your coach and never give up! You will get it, I promise. :)

It sounds like you doubt yourself more than the coach believes in you. If you can't believe in yourself then at least believe in your coaches ability and judgement.

Now with that said, you may be making the the most popular mistake in the histoy of back handsprings.... Many times I'll work with someone who does a decent bhs until they go to try it themselves or use different learning aides. That's when they get a little worried that even their best isn't good enough, and do what makes sense to them..... but not the coach. Usually, in a bhs, that means putting all their effort into going upside down, instead of jumping away from the wall in front of them as they stretch into a back and up line that follows through with a gentle reach to the floor. The jump is what makes them get upside down, and even before they gently reach for the floor they're already more than half way upside down...... and still tipping further upside down.

Think of it this way..... You'v already said you're not getting enough out of your legs when doing it with spot. If I have this figured right, you're beginning to tip your head back (to get started going upside down) as early as them moment you're nearing the bottom of your sit motion. That's a really difficult posture to jump from, and trust me, if it were a good posture to jump powerfully from you'd see high jumpers, long jumpers, and NBA players using this "top secret" method to go farther and higher. Use you brains.... not your head.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back