Back walkover on beam?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey! So every Friday we have open workout so we get to work on whatever we need/want too. I usually work one routine and then some leaps and cartwheels on beam. Yesterday, I started doing back walkover on a floor beam. I landed them everytime. But I don't know how to keep my hands together? I tried and whenever I did I wouldn't land it..and next week I want to work them on low beam..but I'm afraid to because what if I miss my hands?! Please can you give me advice or any of your experiences with it? thanks!

Ah I'd love any advice on this as well. I can do my back walkover completely straight my legs land on but I just can't get my hands to go together to land on the beam!! I just don't know what else to do!!

Well i can't really think of anything but practice. I first started out with the floor beam, then adding mats to the skinny beam to get your hands on it.. so if your hands don't get on the beam they go on the mats. I also start out with a really straight body and my thumbs are touching each other (my hands kinda look like a diamond before i start) if that's not confusing. Also make sure your hips are square/straight the whole time

My coach always says as long as your back and shoulders are flexible (nothing amazing, just normal-flexible), your hands will find the beam when you do a back walkover. I don't think I can do a BWO with my hands together on floor (or I couldn't when I first learned it on beam), but I can do them on the beam fine. Just try it with a little mat over the low beam!

Ah yes, I think it may have a bit to do with my shoulder and back flexibility. I mean I can do a back walkover fine which means I do have back and shoulder flexibility. But my shoulder flex has always come a bit more challenging.
Ah well I'll keep working on it.
I'll try to start out with my hands together and squeeze them together the whole time.

I would increase you shoulder flexibility and just practice more. I can no longer do a back walkover do to back problems, but I remember I always had trouble with my shoulder flexibility on them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back