Back Walkover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pink123

When I am doing my back walkover on the beam, I feel as if it is going too quickly and I cannot get my hands on the beam in time...can anybody help me slow down my back walkover so I have time to find the beam? thanks!!

Try doing some balkwalkovers on the floor on a line at the pace you want to go on the beam. Once you feel comfrotable with that try going on maybe a low beam or midbeam at the same pace you did on the floor. Then when you are ready bring it up to a high beam take a deep breath and take it nice and easy. I hope this helps! Good Luck! :)

It sounds like you're just throwing yourself backwards. Do a lot on a line slowly, squeezing your stomach and leg muscles, and then go back to the beam. Hope this helps!

If your hands are coming to the beam too fast then the counter balance for this is your ability to push your hips forward of the knee on the supporting leg. This is in effect a hyper-extension of the hips as you bend backward. Other factors can contribute to the hands getting to the beam fast. You should not bend the supporting leg or keep it at a minimum as you bend backward. Make up for not bending your supporting leg very much by pushing the hips forward of the knee on the bottom leg. Your ability to push your hips forward and keep them there forward of your bottom knee depends on your sense of balance which takes practice. It also depends on the level of your flexibility which takes work to develop if you don't have enough natural flexibility.

Lead with your hands.
Use a rhythm or count to keep yourself at a consistent speed.
For example:
Reach up -1 sec
reach back -1 sec
look for the beam (i.e. arch down) -1 sec
push on the beam and step down -1 sec.

These steps usually take a bit less than a second but keeping the speed consistent seems to help keep you square.

A drill you can practice to gain control of your hands hitting the beam too fast on a back walkover is to practice back bending facing a wall. Stand as far away as possible and touch the wall with your thighs as you bend back. As soon as you lose the position then your knees will hit the wall and push you down. The goal is to get all the way to the floor without your knees pushing you down and making you fall. Concentrate on thighs to the wall and bend back as far as you can get without falling and still have your thighs against the wall. Put a folded mat behind you to make up the height you need if you can't make it to the floor. You can bend back to the raised mat instead of the floor. The key is having your thighs against the wall all the way. This teaches you to use your hips to counterbalance when you bend backward. Especially for back walkovers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back