Back Walkovers and skills in general -- problem? (lefty/righty)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks, Kate :) I'm guessing it makes more sense to change her back walkover (since her handstand and everything else that goes "forward" is left leg out front) though I'll still see what the coaches say (perhaps it's better to change her handstands and cartwheels... I don't know)

Thanks, Kate :) I'm guessing it makes more sense to change her back walkover (since her handstand and everything else that goes "forward" is left leg out front) though I'll still see what the coaches say (perhaps it's better to change her handstands and cartwheels... I don't know)

THAT would be a great diea.:)

It's what I always do ;) But I still like to satisfy my thirst for knowledge the second something starts wandering through my mind. I can't help it. Probably a personality flaw, but it's actually been helpful to me in life (even if at times a bit frustrating!)

Also, I used to be an assistant coach, and this NEVER came up, so it's sorta bugging me that I don't know some of these things. (To be fair, though, our gym was more recreational. We didn't do competitions. I was also younger then, and I don't think I paid attention to things like that. Which is probably why I was only an ASSISTANT :p) That, and it was over a decade ago. I don't claim to have the best long-term memory :p

But I DID have a knack for getting kids to understand things that other coaches couldn't get some kids to understand. I find that different kids need things phrased differently. For some, it takes a different explanation for something to "click". And once it clicks, the standard explanation works just as fine. It was neat because you'd see kids who simply could not grasp a concept one coach was trying to explain, and then when they get it they turn into the most skilled kid in the class. Sometimes a barrier in communication can be the one thing holding a kid back from their potential... (but I guess this is neither here nor there)

My daughter's LEFT leg is in front for all those things. But with a back walkover, her RIGHT leg is in front. So basically, her left leg is always swinging.

In that video, that girl keeps the same swinging leg, but what leg is in front switches from cartwheel to back walkover. Maybe backwards movements require backwards leg in front? Just trying to understand.

What I was getting at was which leg was in front going forward into a skill. So for BWO you have to think about it in reverse, i.e. like a FWO in reverse. Like if you did a BWO then immediately a FWO. If you lift your left leg to go into BWO, it comes out in front when you land. If your DD is lefty going forward, she might find it confusing when she gets to doing a tic-toc, unless she can kick-over strongly from either leg.

I still cant visualize how they connect these two skills in NZ. You said the second leg goes right over. here, the second leg is the back leg (final leg they land on) so are you saying the back leg never lands in NZ, or do they do it in NZ the same as the video I linked to? (which would mean cartwheel with one leg forward, back walkover with the other leg forward.

At our gym they are trying to teach the girls not to put their second foot down in between so it just swings through. But I'm not sure that is totally necessary. You can still connect them by just placing the second foot down briefly and then lifting it into the BWO. See video at about 50 seconds in:
Floor STEP 4 version 2 - YouTube

Well, in the case of what you are saying (cartwheel backwalkover) they would HAVE to swing through. Otherwise, they'd be taking an extra step to avoid kicking over with the "wrong" leg. but I see what you are saying in the video (well, in this case, they landed with feet together and not in a lunge, so I see how that works without a "step")

* Update *

So, we spoke to her coach this morning. She said Emma's showing left in most skills, so to focus on that. We're going back to bridge kickovers now. I cut the bottom off of one of her socks to make a little sleeve for her left ankle to remind her which leg she needs to kick over when she's practicing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back