WAG Back walkovers?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
So a while back, when my sister was about 5 or so, (9 now), she took classes at our gym. However, she was really hyper (due to ADHD which was undiagnosed at the time), and quit. She switched to cheerleading. We've taught her a bhs which only took her a few months to get it on the couch and move it to the mat. she now has a back tuck on trampoline.

However, she wants to return to gymnastics (and is now on ADHD meds). However, she has all the floor skills required for the developmental team except the bwo. I can't figure out how to teach her and classes seem like a waste for my sister to get ONE skill.

What could we do for this? She has the backbend kickover, and even a bhs. Just not a bwo. Even with light spots she barely makes it over, but with bent legs.

Maybe the gym Will make an exception? Bwo should not have a lot of repetitiond, since they are bad for your back. Contact the gym and see what they say

Learning skills at home is almost always a bad idea. Even if the person who is teaching you is a gymnast. If you learn something incorrectly, it can take a ton of work to re-learn it properly - so it actually saves a time and is better for your body to take it slow and learn in the gym. That's not even mentioning how dangerous it is to learn gymnastics skills without the right equipment (on a couch! yikes!). I know younger kids really want to do gymnastics everywhere, but it's important for older family members to make sure they stay safe by reminding them when it isn't safe to do gymnastics.

As Jard mentioned, maybe the gym will put her on the developmental team anyway if she is only missing one skill. Rec classes may not be a waste, though. Spending a few months in a rec class could help her get the BWO in a safe and structured environment with a coach, but it would probably also help build strength, form, and technique that will make it easier for her to succeed on the developmental team once she gets there - which is especially a good idea if she hasn't done gymnastics for a while.

As a coach I know a lot of kids get "stuck" in a class level for a while because they don't have one skill to move up. A lot of times it's bars (often a pullover). A good coach will try to challenge the kids who are ready for more, either by letting them work on newer skills or by pushing them to improve their form and technique on skills they already know. Of course that doesn't always happen, especially in a larger or rowdier class.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back