backextension roll on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastics24-7

Hi!

I have very bad flexibility in my shoulders which makes it really hard to do a backwalkover on the floor much less on the beam:).
So I am going to do a backextension roll instead. It is working out really well for me...I can already do it on the floor beam. The only problem is that NOBODY in my gym does this so I have nobody to give me tips and pointers and such. So I was just wondering if anybody here has ever done this??? What helped you to be able to make it over??? I just need some in general tips and such.
THANKS!!!!!!!:D

One of the only differences is that the beam is very narrow so if you get off balance you are almost doomed to fall off.

I have even seen it with straight arms by some gymnasts.

However, the skill allows a L6 to compete but it is considered a skill that doesn't go anywhere.

With such a gymnast, I would continue to still work Back Handsprings with panel mats on the side of a low beam for the future. A back handspring on beam can actually be less stressful on the lower back or shoulders in a tight gymnast.

One of my gymnasts competed a back extension roll for L6. She started on a medium beam so that we could spot her, but quickly got it by herself. The trick, for her at least, was to go quickly and point her toes straight up to the ceiling. Once in handstand, she lunged down like it was a handstand, instead of flailing uncontrollably out of a 3/4 handstand.

That said, it is a tricky skill. The gymnast I'm speaking about never hit it in a meet until state championships, although she consistently got it in the gym. Even with tight shoulders, many gymnasts can get BHS on beam for L7 and beyond. You can also easily satisfy your tumbling requirements on beam through L8 with a round-off, so this would be another skill for you to train.

BWO seems to aggravate many gymnasts with back injuries while BHS does not, on BB at least.

Lunging from the HS would have more control than just a 3/4 HS.

Of course, it would be wise to work a long hold english/cross/Beam HS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back