backhandsprings on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

firstplacegirl

hi
i currently do a bhs on beam for level 7 but i am so bad at it. i can't do it on the low beam without someone's hand there or i just collapse into the beam. i do it on the high beam with a spot on a regular basis with a hand there and they are pretty good but, at every meet i compete it but i collapse into the beam and like land on my face. i do the drill when you do a bhs up onto a pannel mat a lot and almost perfectly but when i get to the beam it just doesnt help. and on the low beam i cant step out by myself i always straddle the beam or if i try to step out i fall on my face. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I used to have problems with my back handspring just like it. As horrible as it sounds, it just takes a lot of practice. I've been sent to do the panel mat drill as well, and although I could never directly feel the results, it made it a lot easier to push out with my shoulders when I landed on my hands.

Just a quick question, are you collapsing on your face because you bend your arms, or because your shoulders aren't pushed out?

If you're straddling on the low beam, I actually would suggest maybe moving to a slightly higher beam (a medium beam or high beam with a lot of mats underneath it usually works well). Although it might sound crazy, you're probably straddling the beam because you know if you do, you're not going to split it and get hurt. However, once you go on a high beam, you don't straddle anymore because that would be a terrible idea.
The same thing happens a lot with the level 6's at our gym who are still learning backhandsprings, only with their hands. When they're on a line or a low beam with panel mats stacked up at the height of the beam, their hands never touch the beam. They simple go one on either side. But the second you take away the panel mats, BAM, hands on the beam.

Anyways, sorry if this was a little erratic, and I wish you the best of luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back