Backward roll to BHS and a few others

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, I am currently on exchange and am lucky enough to be training while i am over here :D Super excited.

But on floor they were doing drills for round off flic by round off to landing on back on a crash mat. But instead of having arms by their ears they had there arms down by their sides what purpose does this serve?

Also we did this weird combination of backward roll to flip? does this have any purpose? or was it just a basic exercise?

Finally what is it called when you go to a side handstand (like in the level 4 dismount) but step down onto the beam so you end up sidewards on the beam?

sorry Gymgurl, some days are easier to interpret than others...

1. i have no idea. no purpose that i can think of as you describe it.

2. wierd it is. again, no purpose that i can think of and can't tell if it is a basic excercise.

3. i guess you would call it a side handstand 1/4 turn step down.

sorry i couldn't be more helpful.:)

1. No clue
2. Weird.... just weird.
3. Cartwheel to handstand stepdown. I competed it instead pf a normal handstand. It's easier to hit a full handstand when you do a cartwheel entry so that may be why they taught it that way.

EDIT- I'm overtired. Sorry if this made no sense.

As Galadriel suggests, ask them!

But on floor they were doing drills for round off flic by round off to landing on back on a crash mat. But instead of having arms by their ears they had there arms down by their sides what purpose does this serve?
My first guess would be to relate it to tsuk and yurchenko timers.

There is a progression method of teaching backhandsprings and ro backhandsprings where in the first stages, arms are eliminated from the equation and you just work on the direction of the leg-push/backhandspring. Strong emphasis is on not throwing the head back.

Also, the direction of the arm-push off the floor (if you're powerful enough to turn the ro over to your back, though, I'm not sure why the arms can't remain more by your ears upon landing).

Do you know how they train RO to their feet? Any influence in technique from power tumbling (Do they teach an arm-swing in their RO BH)?

Ask them! ;)

I love backroll backhandsprings. They're wonderful conditioning (and I personally find them fun to do).

You really have to get your feet in front of your hips and shoulders to make it work, so it teaches your body that you *will not die* if you sit back far enough to do a nice back handspring.

And, seriously, they're fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back