Parents Balking on skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

He also told me that the kid who is bullying him HAS mental toughness (same age and level) and he uses it to rattle my son because he knows he can. That my son needs to get mentally stronger.

and the teammate is a brain stem...

Just wanted to say that Doc Ali's stuff us great. My 12 year old has done her Web camp and is now using her Tame the Beast program. She had paralyzing fear of her series and back tuck on beam for a few months and a few weeks after starting Web camp and the workbook, she started going for it and with the help of a coach that took her back to lower beam, she got it back and hasn't had issues since. She had no other fear issues on other events, though she had injured her back right before that on an unrelated skill. I do believe in vestibular issues being the cause of fears and balking, but not sure if they are the cause of all balking. And I figure the mental toughness aspect is invaluable for gymnastics and life, so I love all the @Doc Ali stuff!

This is where more focus on team awards can make a difference. You can't be a jerk to your teammate if you are hoping he will throw in a big score on his best event. All of our boys rose to be their best selves last year when they were gunning for the banner at every meet.

Today my kid had a big meet. It was a strange setup with the Capital Cup format, where they have 2 flights and they warm up in the back. Except floor. They only had one floor, so the kids had to rush through whatever warm up they could fit in between each competing kid as the judge tallied each score. It was not good for my kid, especially.

So his routine was beautiful, IMO. He hit every skill, and then one of his feet went out of bounds. And to top it off, he balked on the BHSBT, so he was dinged for two missing elements? I don't know how much that is. I have to say that even I was frustrated for him, when he came in dead last on floor. I am trying my best to understand it, but I can see why a coach would be irritated, especially when the kid was doing it, Comp time comes, and he loses part of it, and then loses all of it. Beautiful routine ending ugly. :(

I also picked up some photos they did at the meet, and I swear his round off looks like a cartwheel, and the whole thing looks off to me. Low and tilted way forward. I don't see how he can even turn that into a BHS, but I am not a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back