WAG Bars specific camp or training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Fliptwisttumble

Hi all,

I am looking for something like a bar specific summer camp. DD's bars are (IMO) 1 to 2 levels below her other skills. Not because she is having problems with what she's being taught, it just seems that the focus isn't on bars. The gap seems to be growing instead of decreasing.

Are there any such things? Skills she needs (ie. next up) would be front giant/blind change/giant..... toe shoot to high bar or other starter release moves, double back dismounts, etc. I do recognize that no one will get these skills out of a week camp, I am really just looking into any and all options to move her forward, whether that be an extended stay camp, something farther from home, etc.

She wants to go to IGC, but I wonder if there isn't another option that might be better for her.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think Woodward is better than IGC in terms of learning skills. I haven't been to IGC in 10 years so maybe it has changed but when I was there we had mandatory morning and afternoon classes and there were only three open gyms the entire week. I found that it was so crowded during the class time that I did not get to take that many turns or work on what I really wanted to work on because there were not a lot of coaches around to spot.

I have been to Woodward very recently and there is a mandatory morning class, then there are two open gyms everyday. And if you get a coach to go with you, you can be in the gym whenever. I found that the classes were still pretty crowded but I actually learned a lot at open gym. Your DD would be in one of the higher groups based on the skills she wants to work on and based on her other events being higher levels (you test on floor and bars and tell them what vault you competed and that is how you are put in groups) so she would get the very good coaches who coach very successful clubs or college teams.

A lot of people stay at woodward for more than one week and I believe you may get a discount based on how many weeks you are there. Also, if you were to go and be a cabin mom or a driver you would get a discount too. Also, some coaches will go for a few weeks in a row so your DD could work with the same few coaches for a few weeks.

However, maybe a weekly private lesson or something like that could help your DD too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about woodward! I went many years as a camper and I was supposed to go last summer as a coach but then I didn't end up getting to go (it's a long story). By the way, I'm talking about the Woodward in PA. I figured it wouldn't be much farther than IGC from Canada.

My daughter went to a bar camp with her gym last summer. It was just a Friday through Sunday camp. I believe it was Perfection that hosted it in Ohio. I never saw the sign-up flyer so I am not sure if it was an open to the public type thing.

My daughter went to a bar camp with her gym last summer. It was just a Friday through Sunday camp. I believe it was Perfection that hosted it in Ohio. I never saw the sign-up flyer so I am not sure if it was an open to the public type thing.
I know girls that went there too :)

Some of the college camps have sessions for upper level girls only and some have extra bar sessions for optionals working release moves. I would look for something like that that just offers extra bar work. I mean there are only so many hours a day you can do bars without injuries or in my dd's case, bad rips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back