Beam Deduction Coach standing by beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

drivingmom

I hear there is a dectution for the coach standing by the beam. Our coach always stands next to the beam like off the matts, but 3-4 feet away. Is that really a deduction?
Level 4 none of the girls get any type of spotting. Thanks.

I believe that the rule is that the coach can stand by the beam for an individual skill, but it's a deduction if the coach is standing there for the whole routine.

I believe that the rule is that the coach can stand by the beam for an individual skill, but it's a deduction if the coach is standing there for the whole routine.

They can't stand right by the beam for the whole routine. They are allowed to move close for a skill then back away. The same on uneven bars. They can't stand between the bars for the entire routine but they can move back and forth.

I've never heard that standing between the bars isn't allowed without deduction. I have never seen anyone stand by the beam for a whole routine (just doesn't make sense) so I can't really comment on that. Either way, 3-4 feet away wouldn't be considered standing in at all.

Note: I just checked the penalties section. There is a .1 deduction for standing by the beam throughout the exercise (again off the mats does not qualify and probably they would be notified of this anyway so there wouldn't be much question about it). But I do not see a similar deduction for standing in between the bars. If there is one, please let me know, because I really would like to be sure.

if you step in for a tkatchev, pak salto, etc; that's fine. you can't stand between the bars for the entire routine without deduction. same with beam.

Now that I think of it, I've heard that for optionals, but I was looking at compulsory penalties (L5 is really the only level I have any desire to stand between the bars for an extended period of time. Standing for squat on/jump and tap swings).

there is a .10 [1 tenth] deduction if you stand between the bars in its entirety for the level 5 compulsory routiine.

there is a 1.0 [full point] if you do so for optionals.

there is a .10 [1 tenth] deduction if you stand between the bars in its entirety for the level 5 compulsory routiine.

there is a 1.0 [full point] if you do so for optionals.

For optionals:
P. 51, Code of Points
"If the coaches remains between the bars throughout the exercise, the Chief Judge takes a deduction of 0.10 from the Average Score."

For compulsories:
Look at the General Faults and Penalties in the compulsory book. It does not list a deduction for standing between the bars; there is, however, a .1 deduction for standing next to the beam for the entire routine.

Last edited:
well, i can't argue. i asked our brevet coach that works for me the answer. i'll check with her again in the morning.

The 1.0 may very well be the case in elite. Do let me know if I'm using outdated sources for JO (I'm using the compulsory 10/08 replacement pages and the optional code that came out this summer).

okay folks, from connie maloney: .10 deduction for standing in between the bars for the entire routine. this is compulsory and optionals.

.10 deduction for standing in/on the competition area [the mats connote the competitive area] during the entire beam routine.

the rules for elite are different. and whether a podium is used or not. you might be surprised to learn, that at the elite level and when televised, different rules are applied because of television per their requirements.

okay folks, from connie maloney: .10 deduction for standing in between the bars for the entire routine. this is compulsory and optionals.

Thanks, I appreciate it. This would impact what I might do. I wish they would make that more clear or group it with the beam deduction in the penalties section. Clearly, not that I'm memorizing it anyway. Although I wonder if it is consistently applied. The judging in my region (minus MD) really isn't as "tight" as I've observed in other places (though our RTC is very good of course...probably why I can say minus MD though)

u only get a deduction if the coach spots u. she/he can stand 10 feet away or 2 inches away as long as the coach doesn't touch the girl

u only get a deduction if the coach spots u. she/he can stand 10 feet away or 2 inches away as long as the coach doesn't touch the girl

no. no. no. but there is a .5 deduction for touching the athlete, PLUS the loss of value of that skill for optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back