beam fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is learning level 6. She has a very bad fear of beam. Her coaches have a high beam or nothing attitude. I feel she would be betterto learn on a lower beam and build confidence in her skills and get higher the longer she works on these skills. She can already do her bwo and the level 6 dismount if she is no more than two feet off the floor, but when you put her on high she just shuts down. I would appreciate any advice.

I'm not a coach, but as a gymnast I would suggest talking to the coaches about this issue. It is very important to be able to start small and work up; not only is it the logical way of doing things but it's also a lot safer. Skipping progressions just opens the door to possible injury.

If she is allowed to move along bit by bit she will have confidence in the skill, and probably be less likely to develop fears about it later on.

If she is allowed to move along bit by bit she will have confidence in the skill, and probably be less likely to develop fears about it later on.

I think this is a very good point.

Difficult to go in and speak to the coaches about how they coach but if you have a good relationship with them worth a try. Go in asking for help rather than telling them what to do though! Good luck to her. BWO gets lots on kids on high beam at least for a while.

Ok i am a gymnast but when this happens to me i start on a beam thats the height i am comfortable with then crank it up like 4 cranks then do 5 (or until comfortable) then do 4 more cranks, then more. And continue this until it is at competition height Good Luck

In the level 6 beam routine, I always found it easier to go "I. can. GO!" In the part right before it, when I went forwards I said "I" back again I said "can" and then "go!" right as I went backwards. (I said it in my head of course)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back