WAG Beam series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was trying to watch people's series at a meet a few days ago and I wondered are the people that do a lame cartwheel roundoff scored the same as the people that do cool series like I saw a roundoff back handspring. At my gym you aren't allowed to do roundoff except for a dismount or series that include 2 flight elements. Watching someone do a cartwheel roundoff is so lame and so much easier than handspring handspring or walkover handspring. By the way I do a roundoff full dismount so I know roundoffs are easier

Round-offs aren't necessarily easier because it's about preference. It isn't "lame" if someone so chooses to do a round-off series as it's also a B element like a backhandspring. I for one, struggled with backhandsprings on beam, and had to compete a switch legged back-walkover round-off instead at first.

I think cartwheel round offs are harder than back walkover backhandsprings. I personally think its way easier to go straight over the top backwards then sideways. And I love watching cartwheel round off connections cause they look cool. Also some people have to do that due to lower back problems and/or fear of going backwards. Don't judge too quickly..we're all in this sport together. :)

Well you can take it easy because the cartwheel - roundoff series must finish *on* the beam to recieve credit. So a cartwheel - roundoff- back tuck dismount does not satisfy the series requirement. Of course, you never know, I could be wrong. :eek: :eek:

Hmm, I have always heard that the CW/RO series is harder than the BWO/BHS series. Either way you still are connecting a flight skill with a non-flight skill. My dd did the CW/RO series and rocked it all year. It is just a different option - not necessarily better than the other. You might find it easier, but not everyone does. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I think the stigma around the series is because it is not very progressive. I also feel like it is a last resort for many when other series did not work out. As most gymnasts probably started training a traditional series, then switched to this series close to competition it probably lacks the quality of the children who worked the same series since their last competition season.

It is true it isn't really progressive, and doesn't lead to much but you don't know those girls situations and it is nice to know if you get in a situation where you need to do something different to keep going that option is avalible to you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back