WAG beam skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Totally depends on the kid. If they are confident going backwards, have better back flexibility etc a BWO can be easier because your hips stay square the whole time. My kid hates them and isnt very good at them so for her a cartwheel is easier.

As a former L4/5 gymnast, I would've said backwalkover back then. If you look for the beam its easier to land. Its "scarier" though if you ask most people.

But cartwheel is easier to go for, yet it is harder to land, and there is always the possibility of going around instead of over the top, or over the top too much.

So as of now, I would say about equal. And it definitely depends on the person.

Back walkover has tougher requirements in terms of prerequisite skills, strength, flexibility, and confidence, but is easier to execute if you have all those prerequisites.

Cartwheel is less physically and mentally demanding to learn, but harder to execute consistently.

My daughter can begrudgingly land an ugly back walkover, if she has to do them. She CANNOT land a cartwheel. The order of rate of success is cartwheel (0) -> backwalkover (30% with a burning hatred) -> back handspring (solid 95% success rate).

Seriously we’re congratulating her for getting two hands and part of one foot on a beam for cartwheels at this point.

She’s landed one cartwheel. At her level 4 score out meet. Her coach wanted her to do a cartwheel backtuck but it’s not happening, there’s a much better chance of a back handspring backtuck dismount.

Cartwheels man. Seriously.

My daughter can begrudgingly land an ugly back walkover, if she has to do them. She CANNOT land a cartwheel. The order of rate of success is cartwheel (0) -> backwalkover (30% with a burning hatred) -> back handspring (solid 95% success rate).

Seriously we’re congratulating her for getting two hands and part of one foot on a beam for cartwheels at this point.

She’s landed one cartwheel. At her level 4 score out meet. Her coach wanted her to do a cartwheel backtuck but it’s not happening, there’s a much better chance of a back handspring backtuck dismount.

Cartwheels man. Seriously.
Mine had a 30 % land rate on the DFCW. If she landed the cartwheel she was a 9.6-9.8 beam kid. If not disaster. She can do a cartwheel into a dismount but she isn’t needing to stay on.

Mine had a 30 % land rate on the DFCW. If she landed the cartwheel she was a 9.6-9.8 beam kid. If not disaster. She can do a cartwheel into a dismount but she isn’t needing to stay on.
There is a solid chance she could Chuck herself into a dismount out of a cartwheel that doesn’t need to stay on the beam but her coach wants proof that she’s actually landing on the beam and can stay on it first lol. Seriously didn’t think cartwheels would be so hard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back