Bipartite Patella

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymJudgeMom

Proud Parent
Judge
My daughter was just diagnosed with inferior patella tendonitis. But they've also determined she has a more unusual congenital condition called bipartite patella. Bipartite patella occurs when the patella, or kneecap, occurs as two separate bones. Instead of fusing together in early childhood, the patella remains separated. It occurs in at least 1 percent of the population... crazy! When the fibrous tissue that connects the pieces of bone becomes inflamed and irritated you have knee pain. Most people don't know they even have this condition until they have some other kind of trauma (hello gymnastics & patella tendonitis). I am not looking for medical or treatment advice. I was just wondering if any of you have come across this condition and how long it might have taken for the inflamation and pain to go away. Thanks for your input!

My daughter was just diagnosed with inferior patella tendonitis. But they've also determined she has a more unusual congenital condition called bipartite patella. Bipartite patella occurs when the patella, or kneecap, occurs as two separate bones. Instead of fusing together in early childhood, the patella remains separated. It occurs in at least 1 percent of the population... crazy! When the fibrous tissue that connects the pieces of bone becomes inflamed and irritated you have knee pain. Most people don't know they even have this condition until they have some other kind of trauma (hello gymnastics & patella tendonitis). I am not looking for medical or treatment advice. I was just wondering if any of you have come across this condition and how long it might have taken for the inflamation and pain to go away. Thanks for your input!

actually, yes! my sister had this same condition. don't fret. she was an elite gymnast in the 70's and went to trials in 76. she had a great career.

the condition doesn't go away. it comes and goes. have her understand that she won't die or her leg won't get worse or fall off. those are a couple of things that might go her head just as my sister did. it will get better after she has her period for several months and you will find that the episodes of pain will taper off and will spread out in between bouts. but it won't keep her from doing gymnastics.:)

Thanks for the response! I will certainly relay that info to her. She is 10 yrs old, training Level 7. I gotta say though I'm praying her period holds off for another couple of years. As a former gymnast I was lucky enough that I didn't have to deal with that until sometime in 7th grade (TMI, I know - sorry!). I pray she'll be so lucky.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back