WAG Blocking Drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am currently trying to get my handspring full on vault. I can do a handspring pretty well beside the fact that my block isn't very good! My coach told me if i can learn to block better i would actually be able to do the full twist out of it, but I can't seem to get myself to block! Is this because my shoulders are too weak to block hard enough? What can i do to block higher?

Ps. I have a fine block on drills such as handstand hops, vaulting on a lower setting, and blocking from mat to mat on a handstand flat down. I just can't seem to block very well on my actual vault setting.

Another note: I vault on the minimum vault setting (4) for highschool, so I can't move down.

Yes, you need strong shoulders for a strong block off the vault.
We do blocking in a hollow shape against the wall (can you imagine what I mean?) for all levels, again and again. Then the handstand hops you mentioned, for the higher levels onto a stack of mats for upgraded difficulty.
But to be honest your post rather indicates that you have the wrong angle for a good block. (possibly to low, if you do fine with a lower setting) So maybe it's actually the first flight phase you need to work on? ;)

The block is something that comes as a result of having the rest of the vault done well.
1. The board should be fairly close to the table to minimize loss of momentum after hitting the board.
2. the table should be at a height you hit before handstand. Lowering the table usually doesn't help the block unless the gymnast is small and has a really fast turn over.
I agree with Redford where it sounds like you may be at the wrong angle to get the block you want. You may actually want to raise the table to get a better block.

Again, I don't see a block as something you do. I see it as something that happens when you do everything else right. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back