Bullies At Open Gym, Long Rant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I talked to the gym. I don't know exactly what is going to come of it.
I did take my daughter back this weekend with an older friend. It was a different instructor and that made a world of difference. My daughter had a blast and although there where a few attempts at bullying, they where nipped in the bud. It's funny how the buddy system works. The instructor asked what they needed to work on and spotted them when needed. I think my daughter got more out of this open gym than she gets out of a regular class!

i certainly hope that you do. this is one of those occasions when being "over involved" as a parent can be useful. go for it!

My DD's old gym had open gym but it wasn't anything structured and was often run by some older girls (upper level) who were paid to "play" with the kids. One regular coach would be there but most often, not even on the floor. My DD only did open a couple times because she was already doing about 12 hrs/week so I wouldn't let her. It was playtime and she would make up her own floor routines, swing on the rope, sometimes older girls would help her on strap bars. If she went to do something there would always be followers but for the, most part no bullying.

I would say something about that to the HC. I probably would have ran out on the floor myself if I saw my DD being bullied like that. Maybe if there are alot of kids participating they could structure it a little more & make sure the hands to yourself rule is being followed. About the coaches, it usually is more of a playtime and I can see why they may not enjoy it. Maybe you can try another area gym to see if it is structured differently or has less participants. Sometimes you might get lucky and find a coach who is willing to work on some "serious" stuff in open gym, but most of the time open gym is used as a "make up" for missed rec classes and many of the participants are either rec kids or kids that may be looking into joining the gym.

Good luck!

I can tell you that that coach wouldn't be working any more if they were in my DD's gym!

I have to point out something for comedy here! This was the exact sentiment of a pack of moms who dropped off their 12 yr olds for FNO...gosh almost 2 years ago. All boys, all trying to get the little ones to back tuck off the vault table and mocking them when they wouldn't. This was after they themselves were told to lay off the smaller children, shooed off the vault table/pit, and told they could do the bt in the spotting belt with a coach only. Ohhh, about 10 times. 11th time comes, we call the parents, and boy they were FURIOUS! We interrupted girls cosmo-tini night or something lol! Myself and one other coach got singled out (as the 12yr olds cried big fake tears) and told 'well, one day when you have boys you'll understand that they're dare devils and tough! How dare you sit our boys out, how dare you call us here in the middle of a movie, wow what a terrible coach you are you shouldn't have a job etc etc. I wanted to tell them not to let the door hit 'em on a certain part of their anatomy on the way out, but the owner handled that.

Edit: On topic, I would let the owner/HC know. Children are easily affected by their peers, coaches should know how to handle bullying. Plus, (less importantly but true nonetheless)it's just bad business. What kid will come back to a place where they get tormented?

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back