Parents Buying a beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
Hey parents- my daughters have been begging for a balance beam we can put in the basement that they can practice on. Have you done this? Which one do you recommend? Looking for a low beam or one that is on the floor I guess.

They want bars too but I'm not sure how I'd secure it to the ground and not tip.

Thanks!

Hey parents- my daughters have been begging for a balance beam we can put in the basement that they can practice on. Have you done this? Which one do you recommend? Looking for a low beam or one that is on the floor I guess.

They want bars too but I'm not sure how I'd secure it to the ground and not tip.

Thanks!
It's fairly easy to make a beam yourself. I bought a 4x4 from Lowes, wrapped it in a yoga mat, then suede fabric, and nailed a 2x4 on each end.

Gym should stay in the gym.

Where they have adequate space and protection.
Proper spotting
Coached on proper technique (so they don't pick up bad form/habits that are harder to fix, then learning the right way).

Home is for down time, school work, play, conditioning, walk through of routines or reviewing their music/videos (w/o tumbling), the occasional cartwheel and handstand and perhaps a pullup bar.

Beams and bars are good for hanging clothes.

I had thought of this too.... especially the point on proper technique and not developing bad habits/form.

But we're still moving forward with buying a beam. They are only in the gym for one hour a week and really want more. Given the basics they're doing on the beam, I'm ok with the moves at home. The bars, I'm less comfortable with.

Thank you for your post though and I figured I'd see one like this. :) Good points.

Gym should stay in the gym.

Where they have adequate space and protection.
Proper spotting
Coached on proper technique (so they don't pick up bad form/habits that are harder to fix, then learning the right way).

Home is for down time, school work, play, conditioning, walk through of routines or reviewing their music/videos (w/o tumbling), the occasional cartwheel and handstand and perhaps a pullup bar.

Beams and bars are good for hanging clothes.

We bought a beam and home bars. Huge mistake.

You need lots of pads. Good, solid pads. And when using it, they need constant supervision. As a result you will spend loads of money and then they will either not use it or develop bad habits and get hurt.

If they want more gym time, increase the number of classes they take and hours in the gym.

Good news is we sold it all on cl and now it is someone else's problem.

My DD "needed" a beam when she was 7. We bought it for her only because she was having some immense fears on beam in the gym, and we'd hoped it would increase her comfort level. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. The majority of the time she just made up silly routines. In that only, it was a win. After six months, it sat in a corner and gathered dust. Fast forward three years later - DD "needed" a foam beam cause it was different and REASONS. This time we bought it for her for Xmas due to a shortage of gift ideas. It was played with for maybe 3 mos. Still collecting dust.

That said, I DID bring out the first beam for DS when he was having trouble balancing in a scale on floor - had him try a few on that. It was mildly helpful.

If I could re-do, I'd have skipped the purchases, totally. She is in the gym so much now. Better to just enjoy home time doing other things. Best to sit around wanting more gym time, rather than being consumed by gym all around. :)

We have a folding foam beam that was maybe $90 with a coupon. The only upside-down stuff allowed on it is cartwheels. Not even handstands because we don't have a mat. Once in a while it will get used for cartwheels several days in a row, but mostly it is ignored. When I suggest using it to practice the simple things that actually need to be practiced and are not harmful to practice outside of the gym (split leap!), I usually get a withering look.

We have a folding foam beam that was maybe $90 with a coupon. The only upside-down stuff allowed on it is cartwheels. Not even handstands because we don't have a mat. Once in a while it will get used for cartwheels several days in a row, but mostly it is ignored. When I suggest using it to practice the simple things that actually need to be practiced and are not harmful to practice outside of the gym (split leap!), I usually get a withering look.
We've got one of those too. Spends alot of time alone in the garage although it occasionally makes an appearance in the front yard for minor stuff or my younger son uses it as a battering ram.

I tend to agree that bars and beams belong in the gym, but if I can ever afford my dream home it will come with a fully equipped gym building with high ceilings for my daughter!

We bought my daughter an 8 ft low beam on Amazon for approx $200 about a year ago, when she was level 1. She has used it quite regularly and has asked for an upgrade now that she's training level 4 for fall. So now we are in the market for a 12 ft long, adjustable height beam. I was able to find 2 mats on eBay for a reasonable price. As far as a bar...my husband built one in the back yard using 4x4s and a 1.5 inch bar from Home Depot set deep in concrete in the grass for about $50. This too gets used daily as long as it's not raining.

Totally see your point abut they being in class only one hour a week, but take the advice from all here who have btdt who say that within a few months (weeks for some equipment) it will be forgotten and you will get all irritated that you spent time/money getting/building it and it just sits there as a clothes rack.

If you really want to get them one, then I would recommend just a roll up strip one that doesn't take up space, allows them to learn how to balance/walk on their toes on a 4" block. this will help them, if they continue in gymnastics

To answer your question about a recommendation, my daughter (and her brother lol) has enjoyed this one:

http://www.resilite.com/Products/8-ft-Pre-Elite-Low-Beam-(2pc)-Pink__GGPRELB8P.aspx

She did use it on the carpet and outside a bit when she was pre-team and L3/4 to practice turns, some cartwheels, as well as presses and handstand holds. No real significant "practice" really, but she enjoyed messing around on it, and it did not negatively affect her form or anything. (We were strict on usage, and are strict parents who absolutely will take away equipment and privileges for breaking boundaries.) Now not used so much, but occasionally gets some 'play use' as part of some obstacle course or whatnot in the backyard with the siblings. So we don't regret the purchase.

We chose this one as it was light weight but sturdy, detaches in half for storage, and has no 'hard' parts on it like legs to fall on.

Personally, I feel beam is safer on the whole than backyard trampolines (which we do not have, though tempting because it would be fun for ME :rolleyes:). Heck, plenty of playgrounds have some wood or metal 'beam' to play on 6-8 inches off the ground. This one is dense foam that doesn't hurt to fall on, and sits on the ground. Plenty more dangerous stuff on a playground.

Anyway, my rec if it helps :D

Thank you all for your feedback. I understand the concerns and the dust-collecting too. And thank you to those who pointed out some beams.

We have a beam and bars for dd. She has enjoyed them. We bought used from older team members, so you might ask around your gym. We paid about $50 for the beam and $150 for the bars. I'm about ready to sell the bars as they take up so much room. As soon as she gets her kip, they're outta here!

DD has one of the folding floor beams from The Beam Store that we bought at a consignment sale for $15. It gets used in spurts. The 2 year old likes "practicing" on it now. Grandpa made her a bar a couple years ago, it's in the backyard. It gets used constantly, by her and everyone else who comes over. Mostly it's commandeered for ninja warrior obstacle courses, but sometimes she uses it for gymnastics. There's a kip drill that's driving her crazy...

I am perfectly happy with those items and how they get used. If I had spent a bunch of money I might be more disappointed. I like the floor beam, it's significantly less dangerous and perfectly adequate for what they're doing at the lower levels. It folds away for easy storage when they get bored of it and then you can take it back out for them after a while and it's like it's new and interesting again!

But my view on stuff like this is that if it just becomes part of their active play and never gets used for gymnastics, I'm OK with that. We love backyard toys.

Now she's begging for wall bars. I have no objection to that because I'm sure it will be a ninja training ground as well, but I have no idea where on earth we'll MOUNT them.:rolleyes:

DD has one of the folding floor beams from The Beam Store that we bought at a consignment sale for $15. It gets used in spurts. The 2 year old likes "practicing" on it now. Grandpa made her a bar a couple years ago, it's in the backyard. It gets used constantly, by her and everyone else who comes over. Mostly it's commandeered for ninja warrior obstacle courses, but sometimes she uses it for gymnastics. There's a kip drill that's driving her crazy...

I am perfectly happy with those items and how they get used. If I had spent a bunch of money I might be more disappointed. I like the floor beam, it's significantly less dangerous and perfectly adequate for what they're doing at the lower levels. It folds away for easy storage when they get bored of it and then you can take it back out for them after a while and it's like it's new and interesting again!

But my view on stuff like this is that if it just becomes part of their active play and never gets used for gymnastics, I'm OK with that. We love backyard toys.

Now she's begging for wall bars. I have no objection to that because I'm sure it will be a ninja training ground as well, but I have no idea where on earth we'll MOUNT them.:rolleyes:
I'm thinking of wall bars too

We bought my daughter an 8 ft low beam and have it on carpet in the den. She has used it for two years at least 2-3x a week. She mostly practices turns, leaps and handstands. What I have seen as its benefit is comfort in the beam. She looks comfortable on the high beam and scores well on beam. She isn't afraid to try anything. The 8-footers are good for practicing skills but not routines because they are too short. She has a pull up bar, but we won't get her bars like she wants. We are concerned about safety with those. We don't need head injury!

My daughter has a chin-up bar mounted in her bedroom door.
She can close the door and use it as a wall bar - just an idea :) (it that's the kind of wall bar you're talking about)

My hubby made beam for my girls 3 years ago. It has since been retired and now we have tape in the living room for "beam" I think it helped them with handstands on beam, but that's just me. I thought it was more annoying than anything and in the way. I cannot even tell you how many times I hurt my toes on it lol

beam...floor beam only for home, but bars? in your house? I think that is a recipe for disaster. As the kids get higher level skills, I cant imagine those being done at home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back