Buying equipment for home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I personally have a folding panel mat (That is only sometimes used these days) A Chin-up bar (Used ALL the time!) And a backyard trampoline.
We had a trampoline since I was young, the neighbors had one but it didn't have a net, so my parents thought the only way to keep us off of theirs with no net was to get us one with a net. (I personally think a net is a MUST!) No I don't attempt huge tricks on it or anything, but it has helped greatly with my back handsprings, more or less standing backtucks and things like that.

I will say that I did used to have a beam and a standing bar, neither got much use and ended up being sold on craigslist.
The beam was not competition length it was one of the floor, folding ones, so I couldn't even practice full level 5 routines on it.
If you do end up getting a bar, make sure you have a basement or someplace you can really leave it up all the time. It's a pain to set up and take down every time you want it.

Wow I had no idea owning one affected insurance. Is this in America because I have owned one all my life and never heard a whisper from my parents about insurance.

I don't know if this is in america but when we got our new house the insurance person had to inspect the house and our tramp was in the back yard. It was two weeks before we knew if we had to get rid of it. Fourtunatly its only 18 inches off the ground instead of 4feet and is only about a 5- 6 foot across bouncing area (only one person at a time for sure) so it wasn't considered a tramp that insurance could be cancelled (mostly becaues it was only a foot and a half off the ground) But if it had been a true tramp we would have had to get rid of it or no insurance.

My insurance has never said anything about the tramp.

IMO -- chin bar for doorway, folding panel mat, folding floor beam, painter's tape to put on the floor if she wants to cartwheel on a line.

If they don't know you have a tramp they may not say anything, but if they find out they may.

as for equipment for gymnastics that is what we have too. a folding mat. folding floor beam to practice those dance moves, and "Iron Gym" type chin up bar (as seen on TV) which is used all the time by everyone.
I work out at home too so I have a a physioball (sp?), an exercise step, and weights that DD uses too.

Most of the stuff she does at home is for conditioning, core strength, and muscle building. She does practice her dance moves on the folding beam (like full turns) and makes sure the "fluff" that is done to get from one move to the next looks beautiful. but she never does tumbling at home.

Samscamera315.jpg

this photo looks to be a "snow day" type day. Jeans in the floor, pajamas over leo, tv on.

My oldest a couple years ago with bent arms and unpointed toes "practicing" something. Purpose of the post was to show the 2 beams we have. The AAI practice beam which is great and still used and the "granddad buit" carpet over wood beam that resides on the back deck now. We have a very nice roll up mat and yes I bought a kip bars years ago. It helped nothing with the kips as she did learn those where you should (in the gym) but was useful for pull ups and tent building. The only way to use one of those kip bars is to anchor it to the deck via wood screws. There is just to much wobble without doing that, and the only way to even consider using it on the deck is with a very expensive mat under. Just not worth it my opinion.

I have reached the point in her career that home practice is much like privates - not needed. She is in the gym 6 days a week, and if she can't get it there with 3 coaches she sure won't get it at home. Live and learn. She does like the AAI beam though. Of the 4 things we have purchased it and the mat are all she uses at home now.

Any recommendations for where to buy an affordable folding beam that is covered in something resembling the cover on a real beam? My daughter wants a floor beam to play on. (No tumbling will be permitted!) A tape line on the floor was rejected because "I can't fall off that."

Any recommendations for where to buy an affordable folding beam that is covered in something resembling the cover on a real beam? My daughter wants a floor beam to play on. (No tumbling will be permitted!) A tape line on the floor was rejected because "I can't fall off that."

We got a used one super cheap at Play It Again Sports along with a nice used mat. You can always call first to see what gymnastics equipment they have.

e-bay and craigslist have them in the $70 - $80 range but the folding 8' beam we have we only paid $99 and bought new at christmas time when the gym puts out those flyers from the stores that actually sell the "real" beams. Because the gym placed the order we didn't have to pay shipping. I'm sure one of the gym owners here must know what company that is. Its been so long since we got it I forget which of the companies had it.

Craigslist can lead to lucky finds. We have a 12' Spieth beam that I got for $150. It's not a full 16', but that wouldn't fit in my house anyway. I figure that worst case, I can probably easily sell it for $150 when it doesn't get used anymore.

(We don't have the full legs, so it's only 16" or so off the ground and it has mats under it)

Long-time lurker here...
I'm in the if she wants a bar and you can afford it, why not? camp. My DD (level 4) asked for one for her birthday in Oct. She uses it most days of the week. To me, it's just a toy like the rest of the crap we have around here. She doesn't try to do anything crazy on it, but it's fine for the level 4 skills. I only debated it because of the cost, knowing that she wouldn't be able to use it for more than a year or two. But I know they sell quickly on craiglists (where I was originally stalking to try to get one) so i'll get a good amount of the money back.
We also have a rather unsafe trampoline (which came with the house when we bought it). No net, springs exposed. Yes, she uses that too, though supervised. Every year my plan is to buy a new one with a net, hopefully I'll get around to it this year...

this discussion about nets is exhausting. the overwhelming number of injuries, catastrophic injuries, spinal cord injuries, and death etc; are directly caused by the bed itself. this means ON the trampoline. secondary injuries that take place from flying off might be prevented if nets were used.

this discussion about nets is exhausting. the overwhelming number of injuries, catastrophic injuries, spinal cord injuries, and death etc; are directly caused by the bed itself. this means ON the trampoline. secondary injuries that take place from flying off might be prevented if nets were used.

I'll have to disagree with the "overwhelming" number of injuries on the trampoline itself vs. falling off, totally depends on which study you're reading, as they are all over the board.. But I doubt anyone has implied that the trampoline would be 100% safe if only they had a net. A net will only decrease the risk. And in our case, i'm sure padding over the exposed springs could also help. Everyone knows there's risk involved with trampolines, it's up to you to take it or not. I'm fine with it. Also fine with skateboards and bicycles, which come with their own set of risks.

you can disagree. i stand by what i stated.:) and yes, you should get the appropriate padding to cover the springs. the gym manufacturers can have those custom made for you if you give them the dimensions. and i would recommend 2 inch padding.

you can disagree. i stand by what i stated.:) and yes, you should get the appropriate padding to cover the springs. the gym manufacturers can have those custom made for you if you give them the dimensions. and i would recommend 2 inch padding.

What camp are you in about having a tramp at all? I am surprised by the number of coaches here that seem not to mind. Our coaches have said, get a regulation rectangular tramp (okay I don't have $15,000 just laying around for this, lol) or none at all. Something about the round tramps and the springyness of the bed, etc. What say you?

Our coach recommended square or rectangle. We found a square one on Craigslist and it is perfect. The round ones are made to "throw" you towards the middle of the bed. That causes issues with flipping, and if more than one person is on the tramp, they all get thrown together.

What camp are you in about having a tramp at all? I am surprised by the number of coaches here that seem not to mind. Our coaches have said, get a regulation rectangular tramp (okay I don't have $15,000 just laying around for this, lol) or none at all. Something about the round tramps and the springyness of the bed, etc. What say you?

i'm against any trampoline being used outside of a controlled and supervised setting. outside of gyms (and i want to idealistically believe most) they are used as toys. when trampolines are used as toys people can die. literally and permanently. Phoenix Man Dies After Spinal Injury At Indoor Trampoline Park | Fox News.

competition trampolines are very different than the backyard and trampoline park variety. if competition trampolines were used in these playground environments, more people would die and suffer catastrophic injuries.

trampolines, and their sister devices, should only be used in a controlled and supervised setting by experienced and trained coaches. Erbmom is new here and i appreciate her being here but she is wrong. once she hangs around here awhile i'm sure someone will PM her and let her know she can trust what i say.:)

and welcome to CB, Erbmom.:)

Our coach recommended square or rectangle. We found a square one on Craigslist and it is perfect. The round ones are made to "throw" you towards the middle of the bed. That causes issues with flipping, and if more than one person is on the tramp, they all get thrown together.

again, all of this discussion about "he said, she said" is all misguided at best. and the square beds throw you everywhere just as the round ones do. towards the center or not. with more than one jumper or not. i reiterate, whether they are square or round, the overwhelming incident of injury occurs on the trampoline bed itself. and nets are simply a false sense of security for the benefit of the parents. i liken trampolines to motorcycles and guns when used outside of a controlled and supervised setting. that is all.:)

A lot of discussion on trampolines can probably be saved by calling your homeowner's insurance company and asking them if you can have one. Odds are very high that you can't. We called every agent in the area and none knew of a company that would give us a policy with the trampoline (except for the few that would do it for an additional $1000 - $1500 per year). The insurance companies probably have better data on the injury rate and severity than any place you'l find, and they're saying it's risky enough that they want an extra $1000/year.

I used to be in the camp of having one because they're a lot of fun and the kids love it. When I found out what a big deal it was to the insurance company, I realized they're probably very dangerous. The pool in my yard doesn't affect my insurance rates by very much at all.

that's right. ^^^ and the trespasser issue has been much greater with backyard trampolines than with pools.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back