Parents BWO beam deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The Head coach said no BWO, no competing. They opened up to lvl 5s since our girls were to score out and overbooked. She got both feet on beam today but fell. She was so excited. She is trying so hard and I am beyond heartbroken for her.

Not getting her feet on consistently doesn't mean she doesn't have BWO. Just needs more practice, it will come along! Fingers crossed

I personally think the COP is tough to decipher for those of us who are not coaches. It's tricky!
I agree. I think I'll stick with my day job and let the experts (coaches/judges) do their jobs. I guess when you take something that's artistic in nature (WAG) and try to quantify every movement it's not really artistic anymore.
Maybe compulsories should be called "Women's Analytical Gymnastics"

Does USAIGC have its own COP for you to try to decipher?

unless the coaches are adding their own requirements for moving up, the back walkover alone should not keep her from reaching the mobility score unless shes not scoring well on everything else. how are her other events?

Reactions: sce
unless the coaches are adding their own requirements for moving up, the back walkover alone should not keep her from reaching the mobility score unless shes not scoring well on everything else. how are her other events?
oh- i just now saw your comment about no BWO, no competing. ugh. she knows she can do it since she can do it on floor. hopefully she'll go for it and surprise herself!

She got both feet on beam today but fell. She was so excited.
Be excited WITH her! (And I know that some of us are much more subdued in our excitement than others--don't do anything that feels unnatural)

I know that if Short Stack came home very excited and told me that she had made progress on a skill, even though she knows that the skill still needs a lot of work, then that progress means a lot to her.

Celebrate progress! In a sport that demands perfection, sometimes progress is the only thing we have to celebrate. :)

I agree. I think I'll stick with my day job and let the experts (coaches/judges) do their jobs. I guess when you take something that's artistic in nature (WAG) and try to quantify every movement it's not really artistic anymore.

It's all online so I didn't have to buy it! Yeah! There may be something else for coaches/judges, but what's on their website is enough for my purposes so far. http://www.usaigc.com/SitePDFs/USAIGC RULES & POLICY BOOK 2016-2017.pdf

good luck to her! i hope she gets it down to where the coaches will let her test out. even if she falls, she can do well enough at the other events to make up for a lower beam score.

FTR - my dd can't do a BWO on beam either. she tends to go crooked.

So her main coach scored them on beam yesterday. She got a 7.75 with the fall. Her main coach says she will 100% compete Sunday but the owner/hc I would think has final say. She is supposed to be there for 6h practice tomorrow but we are supposed to get alot of snow.... grrr....always something. Regardless, our coaches will not spot in JO. You either have the skill or you don't. Her other 3 events are beautiful and her beam looked great till they stopped spotting her BWO than the whole thing turned to a shaky mess. Either way it will be a learning experience. I think its harder for me with my type A not to know more than anything....

Good luck on Sunday if she does get to compete! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason to score out now versus at the beginning of the next season? I mean, I understand getting it done and moving on and all.. but if she wasn't able to score out now, could you still do it in the fall and then move right to 6 or 7? Is it just because she knows the routines now and doesn't want to have to worry about doing them again in 5-6 months after not working on them? Dd's gym had a couple of girls score out of 5 right at the beginning of the compulsory season last year in a small local meet and I've heard of others having in house meets over the summer to score out, so I thought that was more common. But I'm still fairly new to this, so really just wondering...

Good luck on Sunday if she does get to compete! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason to score out now versus at the beginning of the next season? I mean, I understand getting it done and moving on and all.. but if she wasn't able to score out now, could you still do it in the fall and then move right to 6 or 7? Is it just because she knows the routines now and doesn't want to have to worry about doing them again in 5-6 months after not working on them? Dd's gym had a couple of girls score out of 5 right at the beginning of the compulsory season last year in a small local meet and I've heard of others having in house meets over the summer to score out, so I thought that was more common. But I'm still fairly new to this, so really just wondering...
I think the gym wants to move on and work on the optional routines and continue to uptrain in the summer. We are in the NE and our gym hours go down by 8h/wk during the school year.

yes it does

The Head coach said no BWO, no competing. They opened up to lvl 5s since our girls were to score out and overbooked. She got both feet on beam today but fell. She was so excited. She is trying so hard and I am beyond heartbroken for her.
Can she do a back handspring? Sometime the gymnast can't do a BWO but can do a back handspring. Either one is acceptable for the level 5 routine.

Sorry to hijack... I'm just a parent of a level 2 gymmie but trying to learn the sport. Is the info I posted above correct? I understand that it doesn't explain the deductions. I just want to make sure the reference I purchased doesn't have incorrect information.
Is fine, but what you posted did not address the issue of missing both feet on the back walkover. You just posted the part about form deductions.

Not much less of a deduction for a spot. Have faith, let her go for the BWO and take whatever deduction comes her way. As long as she is reasonably strong on the other events - a low beam score won't affect her scoreout - you only need 31AA. My DD scored out this past December and I am fairly certain she got a 7.0 on bars
A spot is .5 + execution errors.
A fall is .5 + execution errors.
Missed feet means no credit for the skill + .5 for the fall, + execution deductions.
1 foot on means credit for the skill + .5 for the fall + execution errors.
Missed feet, then successfully performing the skill on a second attempt means .5 for the fall, no deduction for repeating, + execution errors.
1 foot on, then falling and getting up and repeating the skill means .5 for the fall, + execution errors, +.3 for repeating a skill, + any execution errors on the repeated skill.
Skipping the skill altogether means 1.2 deduction.

A spot is .5 + execution errors.
A fall is .5 + execution errors.
Missed feet means no credit for the skill + .5 for the fall, + execution deductions.
1 foot on means credit for the skill + .5 for the fall + execution errors.
Missed feet, then successfully performing the skill on a second attempt means .5 for the fall, no deduction for repeating, + execution errors.
1 foot on, then falling and getting up and repeating the skill means .5 for the fall, + execution errors, +.3 for repeating a skill, + any execution errors on the repeated skill.
Skipping the skill altogether means 1.2 deduction.

** what is the deduction for bent legs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back