Parents Camp Moms! Question (or few...)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jen H.

Proud Parent
My girl is going to Woodward for the first time this year, and I am trying to figure out what to pack all her stuff in. I've been told that there really isn't enough room for the typical camp trunk.

I am thinking that a regular suitcase with wheels and a handle will do - with her sleeping bag rolled up and put on top.

Any other things that you can think of that are must haves for a 9yo camper ?
TIA!:)

DD just got back last week, and this was her 3rd year, so we're becoming old pros.

There is a space beside each bunk that a trunk could sit. DD's teammate has a trunk that she's decorated with gymnastics stickers and such, and she just puts it there. Works out fine. Each gymnast also has a shelf space... I'd say it's maybe 3 feet wide, 1 foot deep and 1 foot tall (ish). I bring bedding, plastic "shoe box" type containers (this year she had 4 of those... 1 with cookies, 2 with other snacks, and one with books, cards, etc.) and such in big bins that I then take home with me after drop-off. And then she just had a regular duffle bag with clothes. Most of the clothes, along with the shoe boxes of goodies, she put on the shelf. I think she left shoes and whatever random stuff didn't fit on the shelf or that she didn't want sitting out in the duffle and then that went on the space beside her bed. I also brought one of those hanging toiletry bags and a small bungie cord. I wrapped the bungie cord around a post where the shelves come together and then hung the toiletry bag off the bungie cord.

Beds are hard. Bring one of those foam mattress toppers (not fancy memory foam or anything... just one of those "egg crate" type foam things is fine, and should cost $10 or less) and my daughter says she sleeps much better with actual sheets and blankets rather than with a sleeping bag.

That's the only "Woodward Specific" stuff I can think of. If you have more questions about Woodward, feel free to PM me. My daughter LOVES it there! I'm sure yours will have a blast!

Usually the camp gives you a packing list.

When my DD goes to camp (not the same one you indicated) she usually packs things in 2 laundry baskets. Clothes in one and stuff she can't live without in the other. This way when she unpacks she has an empty laundry basket for the dirty clothes and when she gets home its right into the laundry, but we drive to the camp if you need to fly that won't work.

She tried a sleeping bag the first year but when it hit 90 degrees it was way too hot so she brings sheets and one of her favorite blankets (she has a crochet afgan she loves to sleep with).
For 7 days she brings 14 leotards - she says after a morning of gym she feels too sweaty not to change into a new leo for the afternoon. Those stretchy shorts they like to wear over the leos, Some T-shirts, some regular shorts, at least 2 bathing suits (one to wear, one to dry). 3 beach towels, 3 face clothes, and standard bathroom stuff. One summer Dress (think cotton sundress nothing fancy) as her camp has a dance at the end of the week.

She brings a small portable fan that can hang on the head borad of the bed (and extension cord to reach plug) to make a nice breeze on those hot nights. Lots of hair ties and scrunchies and toiletries. For the bathroom stuff she has what looks like a mini milk crate with a handle on it you get from wal-mart or bed and bath. They are cheap and after she got it she uses it at home too.

Snacks, bottled water, and single serving crystal lite drink packets to pour into the water bottles.
Stuff camp may request for their themed week (room decorations etc for various contests they have)

Everything she bring fits into 2 large laundry baskets. she has one of those luggage rolly things you can get at Wal-mart and puts them both on that with some bungie cords.

We have the big rolling duffle bags, so when empty, they slide right under the bunks. Usually, we keep "extra" clothes/beach towels in there and hang a laundry bag from the top bunk.

Cabins at Woodward have AC, so a fan isn't something she would necessarily need.

Oh, and I have to plug one of my favorite restaurants... Elk Creek Cafe in Milheim, about 10 minutes down the road from Woodward. Locally grown produce, locally raised meats, locally made cheeses. They have their own brewery and a great atmosphere. They probably won't be open on Sunday during drop-off, but you could get lunch after pick-up, or if you go the Friday night before pick-up, there would be live music.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back