Camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yep, that is how I went. My dd has food allergies so I wasn't comfortable sending her to camp without me. So glad I went as she had several reactions to things. It was a great bonding experience for us though - we still talk about memories from that week and it has been 2 years.

They don't usually come out until mid-march or beg of April - no matter what they told you.

At IGC, my daughter spend about $60 on skittles, the rest on iceees and other crappy treats. If she goes again she will get $20 in her canteen. I asked her to buy a leo or a shirt or something that said IGC with her money! Instead she spent it on crap! She had just turned 10, although I'm not sure if she would choose differently now lol
I think there's always the option of nutritious food at Woodward, but if you wanted to eat crap for the entire week, you would certainly be able to do that too. Seems like I've heard people say that the food at IGC is better...

At IGC, my daughter spend about $60 on skittles, the rest on iceees and other crappy treats. If she goes again she will get $20 in her canteen. I asked her to buy a leo or a shirt or something that said IGC with her money! Instead she spent it on crap! She had just turned 10, although I'm not sure if she would choose differently now lol
Took us a while to get DD to stop buying so much ice cream on her school lunch account, even when we'd pull up the report on the website and show it to her (to refute her denials)! So, I feel your pain, but I did get a good chuckle out of "$60 on skittles".

My DD's first year at Woodward she went not knowing anybody there. The first day, at the pool, she made friends with a girl who had come to camp with a big bank account. I had sent $60 or so with DD, but I had told her that, if she wanted to buy a Woodward leo when I came to pick her up, that there had better be some money in the account to help pay for it. I went to visit her on Wednesday and she had spent about a dollar, but this other girl had been buying her ice cream and go-cart rides and I don't know what all else. I was a little embarassed that this other girl was paying for her, and I hadn't intended that she shouldn't spend ANY of the money. Last year I put less in and then bought her a sweatshirt when I went to get her (kept the spending money separate from the souvineer money).

I guess one of the things that gymnastics has taught DD is that she feels better when she eats better, so I don't think she ate a ton of crap at camp. However, last year when I went to visit her mid-week (love that we live so close!) she was in the pool and there was about 20 minutes left until they stopped serving dinner. She swore up and down that she would have gotten out of the pool in time to go eat, but I'm not sure that I believe her. I hope she really is remembering to go to meals, and not getting so caught up in the fun that she forgets to eat. I can't imagine putting those kinds of demands on your body and not having dinner.

I thought the food was pretty decent at Woodward but as someone mentioned, you're not going to get organic and all-natural there, or any camp. The variety was good although after we were there a few weeks, it was predictable and a little boring. I did love the juleps available up at the canteen though!

But the coaches at IGC are very qualified and will let you do the skills any way you want to, they don't nag you about specific technique or whatever.

Probably the #1 reason why coaches don't like their team gymnasts going to camp? LOL.

My 2 DD's went to IGC (oldest 4 years, Little Monkey 2 years). They went strictly "for fun", for the sleepaway camp experience, while doing something they love. This year, LM was signed up to go back and back in January she asked me to withdraw her registration because she "doesn't want to be away from practice for another week" (they already get 2 weeks off in summer).

What my girls learned while they were at IGC were independence and responsibility, and for my picky eater, to try (and like) new foods. LM also has food allergies and asthma, so she had remember to go to the nurse for her meds everyday. She had many safe food choices in the cafeteria. And yes, they spent lots of $ on junk food at the canteen (you can now go online and see exactly what they bought).

Yes, what happened is at the end of the summer IGC sent us a Canteen statement and since she only had 42 cents remaining they added that they would not reimburse :p That was all fine, but I was curious because since she came home with nothing tangible, I figured there would have been more money left. Of course she was very vague when I asked her (with good reason lol). I looked at the report, and kept seeing skittles, granted, they were overpriced, but boy oh boy, did she buy a lot of skittles. I added it up and it was $60! In one week!

Took us a while to get DD to stop buying so much ice cream on her school lunch account, even when we'd pull up the report on the website and show it to her (to refute her denials)! So, I feel your pain, but I did get a good chuckle out of "$60 on skittles".

20 or 30 bags of skittles? That's kind of ridiculous. Even if they charged $5 a pop, that's 12 bags of skittles. I'm not sure I could have done that as a kid on my best effort.

As for the taco bar, I'm pretty sure it's not really great tacos but I'd be willing to try it. :rolleyes:

Actually my new thought is if I'm can bring a cooler of meat to stick in a fridge and freezer somewhere. Otherwise, their buffets might get DESTROYED.

DD's HC is fine with camps as long as she is familiar with who is coaching. There are 5 or 6 compulsory girls on DD's team who will be going to Flip Fest Camp and the optional girls team is going to a college camp (UGA).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back