Parents Can meets be cancelled/postponed due to heavy snowy weather?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow! Some stories! You are all so brave to battle through this weather for meets!
No more taking easy travel to meets for granted!

So far, the weather up in the northeast has been warm. I hope the NY and Chicago meets have easy in and out....
Thanks!

We've done the Chicago meet for years and never have had an issue in Chicago...I generally fly in on the Thursday and out on the Sunday...one year we had to stay an extra day because we got a foot of snow at home and our airport was closed...and we flew out early the next morning. The hotel honored the meet rate for the extra day too.

We are in the South where everyone freaks when there is some snow lol, but we attended a meet in TN last year during a snow/ice storm. It had already snowed earlier that week but then the morning of the meet it was icing pretty bad. Despite several teams not coming due to the weather, the meet still went on as scheduled.

Northeast here and NEVER have had a meet cancelled, no matter what the conditions. The meet organizers simply say, "Use your judgment about whether traveling is right for your family."

Northeast and we've never had a meet cancelled! And only once did we have a meet where we were called and told they were starting 2 hours later so roads could be cleared. We were the first session. The only time they will cancel a meet is if a state of emergency is declared and no one should be on roads! That being said, I've driven home from some meets in crazy conditions! I just always leave plenty of time!!

We are in Texas and last year we had one T&T meet over an icy weekend. They revised it so that any time you got there, your kid would be put in line to compete in a group. There were no flight awards at that meet, as flights were abandoned early. My ds competed double mini with a group of mostly girls levels 4-6 and only one other boy, because that was who showed up at that time.

We also had a girls' AA meet a couple of years ago where flight times were change last minute -- I got a call Saturday night from HC that dd's time had been moved the next day from 1 PM to 9 AM, as they were trying to get everyone done early due to weather. (We ended up iced in and didn't go at all to that meet.)

Never ever have we had a meet get cancelled. We have driven in horrendous conditions several times and once been stuck at a complete stand still for 6 hours, in the middle of nowhere, on I-80 once coming home from a meet in Park City UT, though.

It's just part of living where we do. I live in a constant state of prayer "Please let the roads be good" January-March.

Last year (before we were into gymnastics), I watched in horror as a high school friend sent updates from her drive to Niagara Falls in a crazy snow storm for a meet for her daughter. I thought she was absolutely nuts, then a few months later, my son tried gymnastics....and here I am praying to any god that will listen that there's no snow this weekend as we make *our* way to Niagara Falls for a meet.

Do meets in Southern states ever get cancelled because of snow? I've had experience living in places that never get snow as well as places that get it regularly and I wouldn't expect them to be cancelled in areas that are used to getting snow, so I mainly wonder about the warmer areas.

I think the only way a meet around here would be cancelled is if the governor shuts down the roads. We went to a meet last year that should have been 1.5 hours away and it took us 4 hours to get there. We went the night before, but she had practice until 7:30 Friday night and then it was nearly midnight when we got there.

We're expecting a huge storm tonight. I'm quite sure that school will be canceled, but gym will practice as usual. We're pretty good at cleaning it up around here, so it would take A LOT to cancel a meet I'd think. In the relatively short time we've been involved, I've never heard of it.

If school is cancelled here, so is gym. It takes a LOT to cancel school so when that happens, it must be bad. That being said....meets go on as usual lol.

We don't get much snowy weather in our parts, however we are going north a few times for some competitions. Have you had any experience with very snowy weather and meet delay, or outright cancellations???
Obviously, some snow is no big deal, I'm wondering about the big messy weather.
Thanks!!!

it's happened before. :)

I thought of this thread as soon as I got the email that actually canceled practice tonight!! That's how bad it is in Syracuse, NY right now. They do such a good job of plowing that life usually goes on like normal (I think they cancel school more as a CYA...) but they couldn't keep up today and it was windy so often white out conditions. Puma Jr was NOT happy (especially since she's coming back from that injury and there was no practice this weekend because of the meet) but it was the right call!

Technically, the gym will not have practice if school is closed for weather, though if it goes on more than two days, the coach will open up the gym for the boys who can get there safely.

Last year we had two meets on bad weather weekends. For the first one, on the Saturday when our L6 was supposed to compete our coach was riding with one of the judges and the roads were so bad they couldn't get there. The meet went on but our guy couldn't compete without his coach and only a couple of judges made it to the venue.

On Sunday, the roads were just passable enough that I could get out in my SUV, so I picked up the coach and the judge early in the morning and drove us all out there. That day went on normally, though some gyms weren't able to get there.

For the second of the bad-weather meets, it was actually OK getting there, but there was an ice storm while we were there and when we left the venue, my car was encased in solid ice! I had to break it off in huge chunks and it was very slippery driving home.

We are due for a huge storm this weekend and I am so grateful DS isn't competing!

We have a meet Saturday. While they keep going back and forth on the forecast they are predicting anything between 3 inches and 3 feet. As of right now, there are no changes to the meet.

This weekend will certainly be a test of this theory for the NE and mid-Atlantic....

Apparently only when hades freezes over.

Use your judgement, but no refunds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back