Parents Can meets be cancelled/postponed due to heavy snowy weather?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hope all is well for everyone dealing with the storm! We were spared up here, but I have relatives in NJ and MD who got hit hard. Our optional girls had a meet close to NYC this weekend and it was fairly bad there, but I know many people had it much worse. Good luck and stay safe!

Weather coverage increases it. I guess if it is a big enough event, then the insurance might be helpful. For our meets here, it would not. It would eat up just about everything the gym makes on the event :(

they leave it up to the governors of the states involved to say no.

And yet our governor declared a state of emergency, said if you don't have to be out stay home. And the meet went on.

Just for laughs, I did 3 minutes of googling. I know very little about insurance, but I found a website where you can enter particulars and get a quote. Event cancellation insurance for a gymnastics competition in PA for 3 days with 1000 attendees would have cost $358.23. Gotta say that after this, if I were part of a booster club organizing a meet, I'd do some research.

https://www.theeventhelper.com/

So for essentially, 3 cents an entrant you can get insurance. I would gladly pay an extra buck for a meet to have insurance and not put pressure on folks traveling on a day like yesterday.

Never be surprised by anything that does or doesn't happen in gymnastics....USAG says the last gymnast has to be done by 10 PM at a session, and I think 8 am is the earliest you can start, but weather? USAG knows a lot of money goes into putting on a meet and to have a mandatory ( or even a guidance) on weather cancellation would just open them up for liability...by the meet sponsors, meet attendees, even if God forbid, someone got hurt going to/ from the meet...they leave it up to the governors of the states involved to say no.
So perhaps insurance should be required. That would be considered the cost of doing business

Really add a buck or 2 to the meet fee. Or a buck to admission. A quarter to the price of drinks. Maybe just have medals and not trophies.

That is less then having to pay for a hotel because of weather. Or the deductible on my car insurance if I have an accident and lets not get into the potential for injury or death.

So whatever happened with the parkettes meet? Did they just cancel it mid meet, or re schedule? I see that that area is still under snow and was hard hit......
Did anyone on CB go?

So whatever happened with the parkettes meet? Did they just cancel it mid meet, or re schedule? I see that that area is still under snow and was hard hit......
Did anyone on CB go?

Yes CB'ers were there. Some got to compete, some did not. Some got stuck in the parking lot, some got stuck in hotels.

The POLICE had to shut down the meet because the organizing committee would not..

To finish my post from above ( I'm terrible on my phone) ...Not surprised the police had to shut them down...I'm sure there was a state of emergency so there's that...the Parketeers ( is that even a word?) probably waited until the police came so they wouldn't have to deal with any refund requests..."see, the police did it, not us, out of our hands" ...

The POLICE had to shut down the meet because the organizing committee would not. And I thought my 8 year old was stubborn. That is all kinds of ridiculous. I feel so bad for the families who got stuck.
Back in 1992ish, I was going to a branch campus of a major university. I was taking an evening class and the weather had been getting bad. I don't drive, so my family would take me in the morning and pick me up after class. When they declared a Level 2 snow emergency, I called my dad to pick me up early and told my professor that I was leaving early. He was MAD at me. 5 minutes after my dad picked me up, they raised it to a Level 3 (illegal to be out). It took us over an hour to make the 25 minute drive home.
The prof refused to cancel class. I found out later that the SHERIFF came and told him that everyone had to go home and he still refused (he would not cancel class unless he heard directly from the Dean!). Some people walked out, but a few were afraid it would affect their grades. The Sheriff contacted dispatch to contact the dean and he told the prof that class was cancelled! It was crazy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back