Cartwheel on the beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My level 5 daughter fell off the beam tonight doing a cartwheel. She has struggled with this skill. She can do it, but it's a mental thing with her. She had split the beam at level 3 and never forgot how it felt. She has been working so hard on getting confident doing the CW and she was attempting it tonight and I saw her one foot go on, but it slipped off and she hit the back of her leg coming down off the beam and landed on the mat. They had her get ice.. her beam coach didn't even walk with her to get ice......

Her normal beam coach, just stands there the entire rotation and probably only says 5 words to the girls, if that.. There is no spotting, NOTHING. She looks like she hates being there? I ask my DD does that coach every say anything? She says NO.. This coach stands in one place and doesn't move....

I'm making my daughter do a make up tonight because i want her to get back up and try. I'm thinking of talking to the owner and ask for her to be spotted. She has a meet soon!!!

I understand the issues of having spotters, but a coach that does beam once in a great while, helped my daughter once for 1/2 of the rotation and my DD got the CW on the high beam.. She lost it and that coach hasn't been back to help. LIke I said, the other coach just stands there!!

Sorry for the rambling :)

Might you have a chance to bump into the nice coach (who helped her get it back again last time) any time soon? You could explain what happened, ask her if there's any chance she could work her magic again?
If not you could approach the owner with this request, then if the owner asks why you can explain what happened and what you think would fix it for your DD??

We are going for a make up class tonight. If the nice coach is there, I'm going to talk to her. I have personally thanked her for her help. My daughter told me this morning, she wanted to get up there herself and try again ~~ I'm so glad she has that will to want to try :) I'll have to let you know how it goes :)

I'm 14 and i had the same kind of mental problem with both handstands and cartwheels. i think it helps alot if you have a mat under the beam that is high enough that if she does split the beam, her feet will hit the mat before she hits the beam. i think that helped me heaps to build up my confidence.
hope this helped :)

In my experience, what helps most with fear on beam is just doing the skill over and over again. It's especially important to get up on the high beam after only a short warm up on a line on the floor or on the low beam, so that she does not psych herself out. It will become easier and easier if she does not let herself make excuses, like "I don't feel so good today," or "I want a coach to spot me" (of course, if she does not feel well or really CANNOT perform the skill by herself, it is not an excuse - it is a reason). With repetition, and being aware constantly throughout the skill so she can replicate it successfully, she will cease being scared - it may take months or a year.

I recently found an article on the cartwheel on the beam...since some of my Level 4s are learning it, I read it and it seems like it'll be alot of help. You can look it over and see if it's helpful to you: Cartwheel on Beam HTH :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back