Change in MD Compulsory Season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know the outcome of the proposed change to the MD USAG compulsory season? I thought they had voted for the change over the summer but have heard rumors that it is still being discussed.

Don't know about MD, but in PA they voted to change the compulsary season (Sectionals/States in Nov/Dec rather than March/April) but then it created such an uproar that they changed it back again (before it was even implemented). Apparently they wanted to change it because it is a problem getting enough judges when all of the compulary and optional sectional and states meets are around the same time. My main issue with it is, if the idea is that ALL the levels make up a TEAM, having them competing on completely different schedules detracts from that. Plus it makes the transition from compulsaries to optionals more complicated. But I don't know how to solve the judge shortage problem, so if they had implemented the change, we would have made it work, I'm sure.

Where I live the Optionals run Jan-May and the compulsories run Sept-Dec and it works out perfectly fine. I don't think it detracts from the girls being a team at all. It's not like the girls of different levels end up competing together anyway. They are always at different times and days. Even in Level 4 here the girls end up not competing together because the different age groups are at different days/times. I don't really think it makes the transistion from Level 6-7 more complicated either. Many girls finish up their Level 6 season and go straight into level 7. If they aren't ready it gives them an entire year to get ready. They finish Level 6 in Dec and compete Level 7 the next January. I guess it just seems normal to me because that's the way it is here.

Thanks for your responses! Ultimately, I was just curious since it affects how much time they have to really master their skills and routines for the next level in the year the change happens.

Last we heard the season will not change. The dates for the different level state meet have really changed this year, with the biggest change being for Level 4s who's state meet has moved from May to March, but if the dates for the competitive season itself do not change maybe next year things will change back to how they have been in the past with the Level 4s being the last state meet of the season.

I saw it on the mdusag web site as well. The compulsory season is not changing. I wonder if some gyms did not move girls up because of the "shorter" compulsory season this year. They probably should have thought it through a little more, now the state cup is canceled as well.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back