WAG Changing Gyms Due to a Move

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have 2 DD's (9 and 11, level 5 and level 4, respectively). We are moving to Houston in a few months and they will obviously have to change gyms. The problem is, they've never changed gyms before and I don't know how to find one that would be a good fit for them. When I asked their coaches, I was given a list of 'good' gyms in the area, but that doesn't much help as I can't possibly take them for a trial at every gym on the list. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I need to do find a good fit for them (short of trying every gym on the coaches' list)?

I would start with calling the gyms that are a reasonable drive from where you will be living and asking some questions - do they have room on their team for someone to come on now at these levels? How many hours would they be practicing, what days? What is the cost? Do they have a boost club and if so, how does it work? ETC. Basically I'd narrow it down first by reasonable drives, then by if it is a good fit "on paper". Then I'd take those that seem like possibilities and go for evaluations there.

Houston is a huge city especially if you include the outer areas. You can easily drive an hour or more each way within the city. Also, rush hour can be brutal, when looking at gyms consider not only the actual distance but time the drive when they will practice.

As txgymfan said, it would totally depend on which part of town you're moving to, as Houston is so huge. And (landwise), it is very spread out.

PM Dunno--he knows everyone and can give you an idea of where to avoid.

Beyond that, I would look at what gyms are close to where you'll be living or they'll be at school. Visit those and see the atmosphere there (without your girls). Then pick the two or three you like best (if there are that many) and have your girls evaluated there. Make your final decision after that.

Totally agree with gymmomtoo. Exactly what I did but had narrowed it down to 1 before I even got to our new state. Luckily it worked out great. The hardest part is figuring out the vibe of the gym. I called first. Visited. Then brought ds for a try out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back