WAG Club Philosophy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
I love it when clubs make their philosophy this visible...

Link Removed

Not that I totally agree with all of it...but the time is taken to explain the four points that they believe in...excellent.

Does your club make it's philosophy clear?...is it truthful?

That's a fairly well written piece. The only thing they leave out, although it's implied, is were they stand on each of the points they raise. It's a good start in the process of parents finding the right situation for their child.....as long as they know what their child's hopes and needs are.

The only thing they leave out, although it's implied, is were they stand on each of the points they raise.

I like that they don't say "and we do all this the best" :) They allow/require that the parent find the answers themselves. Though the might miss a few who want them to say "we are the answer"

sorry guys...they're full of crap. that's all.

Haha...don't like him huh?

Saw them at a meet...their upper level kids looked pretty good.

Haha, you are right... all their level tens (and many others) came from other gyms. Mymeetscore is great for finding a layer of truth.

That's funny...well...I guess we found out the answer to the "You make 'em...we take 'em".

I still like the article though...

I, personally, don't like the long list of questions I, as a parent, should be asking. Tell me where you stand and what is important to you as a coach/program. I don't really think this is good writing. :)

Haha, you are right... all their level tens (and many others) came from other gyms. Mymeetscore is great for finding a layer of truth.

That's great! Practice what you preach?!?!? I should have known better, a good gymnastics coach would never have time to write out something that organized... haha. Our head coach is some what of a disaster when it comes to planning the business aspect/ logistics of the gym. But he has a plan for each girl and works wonders with them in the gym. And he doesn't have a written mission but has a proven record that speaks for itself.

More interesting...looks like all of his 10's came from the same club...which he used to coach at? More like..."I made them...I'll take them".

Now this is turning into an Agatha Christie novel!!! I call "hijack".

yes, they all came from Crystal Lake Gymnastics in Crystal Lake, Illinois. and there are a few coaches there that might take issue with claims that those kids were coached only by who is coaching them now who did coach at that gym. like Gogoladze for 1. the 'person' who wrote that stuff for the website is full of themselves. that is the perfect example of a blowhard. lol! :)

In response to the original question... Our club has a couple of lines of nonsense about its philosophy on its website, and some of the rare written communications we have gotten do go into a little more detail, but actions speak louder than words. I am still waiting to see how things play out in real life (my gymmie has only been in the program for a few months).

What I would really like to have a written statement of is not the gym's general philosophy of coaching, but its administrative policies--when evaluations occur, requirements and timetables for move-ups, attendance policy, etc. For instance, all of the new parents know that move-ups generally happen once a year, but nobody has told us exactly when, so we can't plan ahead for potential changes in our child care schedules. It would also be nice to know exactly what "competition hair" means, how/when we are supposed to pay our booster club fees, when the mock meet is, etc. All of these details should be written down. I would rather get the gym's general philosophy from a series of brief in-person conversations with the coaches, spaced out over a long period of time, than from some platitudes posted on a website, but those conversations don't seem to happen.

Our gym has a beautifully written mission statement that talks a lot about respect (for your coaches, for your teammates, for the sport, for your parents who foot the bill, etc.), about the importance of academics, about being a good roll model, about finding at least one thing that you love to do, besides gymnastics, and making time to do it, etc. It literally made me cry the first time I read it. And yes, so far I would say that, in general, they practice what they preach.

OK...Illinois is really screwed up...but I still like the write up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back