Parents coach doesn't believe child is injured - is this common?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for your honest and candid response. I feel sick to my stomach thinking what have I taught my child to endure over the last three years in the name of "trusting the process" and "trusting the coach." Coach's mentality is, if I don't pick on you, then that's when you should be worried because I've given up on you. So that is why my dd thinks the behavior is ok as she would rather be seen than ignored. I have told my DD if the coach is giving corrections that's because they believe in you and want to help you improve; that the coach is not trying to be mean. But I'm now trying to separate the corrections from the "abuse" if that's what it is.

I'm not quite sure what the plan will be moving forward. I plan on speaking with the owner to come to some resolution before having to look at other gym alternatives. I have never been one to say I want X coach for my kid, but it looks to be that time.
There is a BIG difference between corrections and belittling.

It’s a big red flag for me. Gymnasts shouldn’t ever have negative or belittling feedback - I don’t mean they shouldn’t have corrections but it shouldn’t be negative as the point of corrections are to improve a gymnast and not to belittle them, so whilst they might get told you did that wrong do this or point your toes etc it’s not negative as that’s how they learn to improve.
A coach who gives up and ignores some gymnasts is another red flag for me.
I have been thinking the same thing ... but so many parents "LOVE" this coach that I keep telling myself that it must be me and I'm not used to that type of personality. Also my kid LOVES this coach.
This also worries me a kid who loves what sounds like an abusive coach, outside of gymnastics I’ve worked with kids who loved their abusers who at the time couldn’t see the abuse.
Also lots of people loved Larry Nassar before the truth came out.

My mother used to say if everyone jumps off the Brooklyn Bridge are you going to follow?

Find a new gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back