Coach vault contradiction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach A says to put my arms up when I hit the board and Coach B says that I should hit the board with my arms down. Who should I listen to?

What vault is this? I always thought it was arms up on the board...but I don't really know what my arms are doing when i vault! Dunno is probably right...I am not a coach!

to clarify: your arms/hands should be moving toward the table when you leave the board. this would be as you punch. the arms are either slightly down, slightly to the side, or slightly both. this is for conventional vaulting.

to clarify: your arms/hands should be moving toward the table when you leave the board. this would be as you punch. the arms are either slightly down, slightly to the side, or slightly both. this is for conventional vaulting.

I have the same issue at my gym. I keep saying hit the board with the arms down and moving into the table and another coach keeps teaching hit with arms up. It is possible to vault with the arms up on board contact just a lot harder to get the rotation you need to bounce.
A small arm circle really helps although not required for girls. I've been playing around with different ways of telling the kids to get their arms lower them move them up as they are flipping. I'll have to let everyone know if anything specific works better than anything else. The main issue I run into is that they were taught for a year to do that stupid level 3 diveroll then the level 4 vault with their arms up and now I have to get them to bounce off of a table that's bolted to the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back