Coaches Coaching After Negative Experience as a Gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone began coaching gymnastics after experiencing abuse or having negative coaching experiences as a gymnast? Was it healing or triggering to be a part of gymnastics again?

For our head coach, it was healing. She remembered the fun she had in the beginning.
When she became the head coach at our gym, she created a better environment for several years.

I personally haven’t experienced abuse, but I definitely had bad coaches that did not make feel good about myself, disrespected my boundaries, and drained my love of gymnastics. I love coaching because I get to recreate all the good things I liked about gymnastics and gift these experiences to a new generation. It’s empowering! I feel part of a larger movement that is breaking the cycle of abuse.

I was a part of a gym that was not healthy for 13 years of my life. We had very negative coaches that were verbally abuse and one that was physically abusive. I started coaching about a year ago and for me it has been so healing. It reminds me every day that I can break the stigma of mean coaches. With my girls, I always ask if its okay for me to move their body for form, or if I can spot them because I don't want them to be uncomfortable with me. I am incredibly reassuring and extremely proud of my girls. Ultimately, it has been healing to become a coach and become the coach that I never had.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back