WAG Commonweath Games

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Looking forward to the games in Glasgow. Looks like the BBC has got some great coverage of the gymnastics, and all the sports although we may have to watch the finals on iplayer as we are off to Alton Towers for a short break.

Anyone else looking forward to it, should be a great competition.

We have tickets for gymnastics and athletics and are going to stay in Scotland for a few days afterwards as well. Really looking forward to it :)

Well Jel, just too far for use, we have even had to find an overnight stop to break the Alton Towers Trip - me, Big Boy and P&F will be cheering on on the tablet

So looking forward to it! One of my favourite competitions!

I was offered tickets by one of our gym parents, but unfortunately I just couldn't afford this one when you factor in travel and accommodation too. The BBC will be my friend!

We are incredibly lucky to have friends who live just outside Glasgow and we're staying with them for three days, before holidaying on the coast. It's a 15 minute train ride into the city centre each day, but only a few pounds for that. The train to get up there was booked well in advance and cost less than £60 for the family, which is much cheaper than it would have cost to drive. So it's worked out very affordable for us.

Accommodation is the one thing they don't seem to have handled well. We did think about trying to stay in the city, but even back when we bought the tickets, a year ago, there wasn't a room to be had anywhere. We tried several room rental agencies, but they only wanted people willing to pay a full week and when the odd room became available the prices were extraordinary - I think something like £180 per night for a premier inn room and more in others!! The games website was completely useless and simply had a link to the tourist information site. They sent emails just a couple of months ago suggesting people book accommodation in other parts of Scotland (inc the highlands), which is ok for afterwards, but not exactly helpful for during the games themselves. We stayed in a youth hostel in London for the Olympics. The room wasn't any more expensive than it usually is.

I'm really hoping the atmosphere ramps up a bit soon. It all seems a bit quiet down here in England at the moment. Can't wait to get off the train in Glasgow and to feel part of it.

I love the size of the Commonwealth games. It's big enough to feel like a very special event but not as big as the Olympics, so as to feel a bit overwhelming. And having separate home nations teams means that more GB gymnasts can compete.

At least watching remotely you won't feel compelled to buy a Clyde... mine have Mandeville and Wenlock and the pestering will no doubt start pretty much as soon as we arrive:rolleyes:
Small price to pay, we are very excited :D:D

Did I dream it or is it being streamed on YouTube? Sure I read that somewhere.

We were going to make a holiday of it, I used to live up there. Didn't get tickets though!

As an aside, and following on from the rules change for gymnastics mentioned here (becky downie competed in Manchester as a junior...) what do we think about the 13 year old plymouth diver who won her appeal to compete? Personally I think the age rules (14 for diving, 16 for gymnastics) are there to protect children and there should be no exceptions. There must be some juniors out there who had a good shot at a home nation team?

Hmmm. Hadn't heard about that, but I agree with you Faith. Allowing a thirteen year old to compete at younger than the set age in one sport surely opens the way for the same to happen in other sports and those rules are there for a reason.

We definitely have some juniors who would be able to challenge for places but I think it would be a backward step on two counts:

First of all to protect them from being pushed too young, especially in gymnastics.
Secondly I like that we have older gymnasts on the team that they remain successful and have longer careers.

I would hate to return to the days when gymnastics is for pre-pubescent girls and they are all washed up by the time they are fully grown.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back