Competing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just finished my first ever competition season and was a level 6. I didn't do as well as I had hoped and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to compete better? I would get high 7's or low 8's except for floor where I never dropped below 9. I don't get nervous. I don't freak out. I have my skills. I don't know why, but my routines never turn out as well as I hope. Any suggestions?

Well I good way to avoid little extra deductions is to make your routines shorter. Obviously, a floor routine cannot be shortened until you get new music. But on beam, try to make it short and to the point without going under the time limit. If you have extra skills that aren't requirements that you're likely to fall or get deducted for, take them out.

You may already be doing this, but I'd suggest while you're in practice to have your coach "score" you and be a pretend judge. My coach does this and it helps me get motivated to perfect my skills so when the time comes for my routine in the meet I'll be used to the feeling of having a judge there. Like you said, you're not freaked out. But you may be a little less concentrated knowing the judge is watching you.

And last but not least, although it may not be true, you may not completely understand how the scoring system works. How much different deductions are worth, etc... Like I said, might not be the case. But it's something to think about :)

Hope this helps!

Well I good way to avoid little extra deductions is to make your routines shorter. Obviously, a floor routine cannot be shortened until you get new music. But on beam, try to make it short and to the point without going under the time limit. If you have extra skills that aren't requirements that you're likely to fall or get deducted for, take them out.

You may already be doing this, but I'd suggest while you're in practice to have your coach "score" you and be a pretend judge. My coach does this and it helps me get motivated to perfect my skills so when the time comes for my routine in the meet I'll be used to the feeling of having a judge there. Like you said, you're not freaked out. But you may be a little less concentrated knowing the judge is watching you.

And last but not least, although it may not be true, you may not completely understand how the scoring system works. How much different deductions are worth, etc... Like I said, might not be the case. But it's something to think about :)

Hope this helps!

thanks, those are really good suggestions. I'll try having my coaches score me and i think i'll look up the codes and deductions too.

It takes a while to adjust to competition and learn the ropes. If you have only just started competing as a level 6, most of those you are competing against will already have a few years of competition experience up their sleeves. You will improve with experience as well.

Why not get someone to video your routines for you, then you can watch them and see where you might be losing points. If you aren't sure you can post them here and the coaches and judges here would be happy to give you some advise on how to score higher.

It takes a while to adjust to competition and learn the ropes. If you have only just started competing as a level 6, most of those you are competing against will already have a few years of competition experience up their sleeves. You will improve with experience as well.

Why not get someone to video your routines for you, then you can watch them and see where you might be losing points. If you aren't sure you can post them here and the coaches and judges here would be happy to give you some advise on how to score higher.

thanks, that's a great idea to post the videos! when i start doing more routines, i will definitley post them for some feedback!
a lot of people on my team told me that experience helped, i just didn't realize how much though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back