Confused About Diet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Clover

Proud Parent
I have always encourage my DD to eat a high protein snack before her practice. I've told her that it will keep her full longer and will give her longer lasting energy than other foods. However, another gym mom told me that this actually is not correct. She told me that a high protein diet before work out actually drains her energy as the body has to expend a lot of energy to digest the protein. She said that I should be encouraging her to eat healthy carbs before practice. She told me that the protein should instead come after practice.

I don't know her qualifications, but what she said makes sense. Is that all true? I am hoping a coach or a nutritionist (or qualified other person) can help me with this. Also, is the same true for before a competition? The girl's bodies aren't actually working as hard at a competition, but they certainly have to go a long time before they eat again.

Thanks for your help!

I was always told a light snack before practice a good combination of protien, carbs and good fat is ideal. If my daughter is going right from school, she will often eat something like peanut butter on whole wheat crackers, and some fruit, like strawberries or grapes, or an apple. Sometimes an energy bar but that is only if we are really running on time - she doesn't love them. I've given her a pbj sandwich also. If we are coming from home, like this morning, she just had eggs and toast and orange juice. Works for her. I know you want to avoid carbs only because they will burn through them too fast. This is just our experience based on some info I've picked up through the years with kids playing sports. It works for us
I have always encourage my DD to eat a high protein snack before her practice. I've told her that it will keep her full longer and will give her longer lasting energy than other foods. However, another gym mom told me that this actually is not correct. She told me that a high protein diet before work out actually drains her energy as the body has to expend a lot of energy to digest the protein. She said that I should be encouraging her to eat healthy carbs before practice. She told me that the protein should instead come after practice.

I don't know her qualifications, but what she said makes sense. Is that all true? I am hoping a coach or a nutritionist (or qualified other person) can help me with this. Also, is the same true for before a competition? The girl's bodies aren't actually working as hard at a competition, but they certainly have to go a long time before they eat again.

Thanks for your help!

Heard this on "Health in a Heartbeat" on NPR coming home from work a week or so ago. It seemed relevant...

It’s about that time again. Right around three or four p.m. your eyelids start to droop a little. Your concentration wanes and your head feels heavy. The time is ripe for your afternoon slump, so you head to the office kitchen for sugar and caffeine to make it through the rest of the day.
But drop the doughnut and grab a hard-boiled egg instead; a new study published in the journal Neuron found that we should nosh on a piece of protein if we want to perk up. The secret to protein’s success as an anti-sleep agent is its ability to activate brain cells called orexin (o-REX-in) cells. Orexin cells produce a stimulant that makes us energetic and triggers the body to burn calories. If the cells’ activity decreases, so does ours.
But sugar — the main ingredient in that chocolate-dipped doughnut — slows the function of energetic orexin cells. This could be the culprit behind your overwhelming urge to take a post-lunch siesta.
Some solid sources of protein to keep the snoozes at bay include low-fat yogurt, cheese, nuts, chicken breast, lean beef, beans and of course, the affordable egg. Try to sneak in protein with every meal and snack to elevate energy levels throughout the day, beginning with breakfast.
Adults should aim to get 10 to 35 percent of their calories from protein, depending on specific needs and activity level. Women should eat at least forty-six grams of protein a day, and men should get at least fifty-six grams a day. Considering a boneless, skinless chicken breast packs a whopping 30 grams, getting enough protein shouldn’t be a problem.
So next time you feel the afternoon slump sneaking up on you, avoid the gravitational pull of glucose and choose protein instead. Your brain … and body … will thank you for it.

I'm not a nutritionist, but the advice I've always heard essentially boils down to carbs and protein before and after.

I've also heard that chocolate milk is the perfect after-workout drink (better than gatorade, etc.) because it has a good combination of hydration, carbs, protein, and fat.

I've also heard that chocolate milk is the perfect after-workout drink (better than gatorade, etc.) because it has a good combination of hydration, carbs, protein, and fat.

There are studies out there now that show this to be true.

As for before workout, while the NPR post is true about protein boosting energy level for wakefulness, it is complex (slow digesting) carbohydrates that will sustain that energy through a workout. So combining a little bit of protein with complex carbs is best. And then following practice with protein is important to help build and repair muscle.

Of course, the relevance of all this really depends on how old your dd is and how long she practices. It's less an issue for 1-2 hour practices (unless there is a lot of cardio/conditioning) but it can really change how the gymnast feels in a 3+ hour practice

I try to combine protein and carbs because it stabilises blood sugar. I'm not a qualified anything, and I got this advice from a physiotherapist. Carbs on their own won't keep you going as long.

Several posts are lumping carbs together as one thing. Simple carbs (like sugar) provide more immediate energy. Complex carbs provide energy over a longer period. These should be eaten well in advance of a workout in order to provide sustaining energy throughout.

Your best bet it to make the appointment with your child's DR to get a referal to a sports nutritionist. then your DD will have the diet that is right for her for the type of sport she does for her age.

I have heard that complex carbs (healthy type) are best before training as the carbohydrates are easily broken into glucose at a steady rate to be used for respiration (the chemical reaction that provides us with energy, and NOT breathing!). Protein is very good after as its great for muscle repair

i believe that i posted up choco milk here long ago. the best for recovery hands down.:)

It totally depends on the kid. I do try to push fat and protein on my DD before any practice -- when she gets hungry, it's not pretty. Hardboiled eggs are good for her snack bag when she's in a mood for them and she'll eat 2 or 3 on a break. She has stomach of steel and can eat 2 pounds of Taco Bell and roll right into any kind of sports practice. Worst thing anybody can do performance wise during meets or dance performances is try to keep her to "light snacks."

My son is a carbo hound. I do try to get him to eat something more substantial sometimes, but it's quite a battle, and he'll do OK. He will attempt to live on rice cakes, corn chips and refined sugar. Performance wise he seems to be alright. My own mother for years ate 1-2 meals a day consisting of potato chips and soda, so he probably gets it honestly. She's changed her tune now but she was always very healthy.

I've seen kids throw up in practice, big and little, from eating too much / too heavy right before. I've seen it in swim team, gymnastics team and now diving practice. But that doesn't affect mine -- so again I think it depends on the kid.

Chocolate milk is a huge trend now with the swimmers too. It is so funny to see these ripped 18 year olds with their little boxes of chocolate milk. Just bring the half gallon bottle why don't you?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back