WAG Currently a Gymnast and Coaching?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

Since the start of our new rec season, (September 4th), I've started to help coach the 2-4 pre gym class, (45 mins) and the 5-6 year old gym class (1 hour), as well as still taking classes. I'm doing an advanced rec team, (basically the same things I would do if I was on team, except I don't compete.) this year, because of school, too. It helps pay for some of my tuition each month.

I'm wondering if you, or your DD do this? Or is it just my gym? I absolutely LOVE working with these kids. I never thought it would be so exciting for ME to say that, "hey, I helped (insert name here) get her cartwheel by herself!!"

Just wondering if any of you do the same thing? Are on team, and coach as well?

I did it for 2 years. Then I stopped training because of injuries. I'm still coaching to this day, and I'm loving it! I was training 12 hours a week and coaching on 2 or 3 different days. I was basically always in the gym. Coaching gives you a whole new point of view of gymnastics, and yes it is great to be able to say: I helped this kid get this skill, I helped him overcome his fear :)

Yes! These last 2 years I've been coaching a jr high beginners class (nothing beyond back handsprings) and its been so much fun! I love getting to be in the gym more and it's also fun because the girls are only 1-3 years younger than me so they look up to me a lot. Whenever one of my girls gets a new skill or gets over a skill I'm just as happy as if I had gotten it! Nothing like passing on what you love to others and letting it change their lives like it's changed yours. :)

Nothing like passing on what you love to others and letting it change their lives like it's changed yours. :)

Well said! This is why people teach, coach and train others for a living. One of my favorite classes to teach is volunteer orientation at the childrens hospital where I donate my time. I love to get others excited about volunteering with the patients after being there for the past twelve years.

So this is a long way to say, congratulations, you now understand your best coaches and teachers.

I am currently competing/training level seven and also coach as well. I haven't got a regular class at the moment because I took a month off for my final exams. I have coached levels 1 2 and 3 and 4 (but four only as a cover) I have done a bit of rec classes as well. I really enjoy it especially because I love seeing the smile on their face when they get a skill that they thought was scary or hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back