Cute Points

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
I'm not sure how to take a recent comment by a parent, but my initial reaction was annoyed, so I'm looking for a bit of reason from all you normal not crazy gym parents...

My little dd has had a great season getting many high scores and first places - another parent said to me, to my face, "she gets great scores because she gets all of those cute points." While I think its nice that she thinks my dd is cute, I think she earned those high scores with hard work and focus. She went on to say something about pig-tails and baby teeth (she hasn't lost any teeth yet) boost her scores. I just kind of half-smiled and said nothing.

How would you react?

I'd say..."Oh, I didn't realize you thought your daughter wasn't cute." :D Seriously though, you did the right thing. Just ignore the odd/rude/jerky comments, they will unfortunately come from everywhere in reference to everything. Just smile and back away slowly.

I've heard similar comments from coaches at several gyms about one girl on DD's team who is tiny that she gets a score boost because she's so little and cute (these are coaches that know the girl and are friendly, not likely bitter/jealous coaches). I've also heard coaches say that tall/thin gymnasts get a boost because their lines can be longer and more impressive. I think the reality is that no one knows what the judges are thinking (possibly not even the judges) - they have to account for ~60-100 possible deductions in the course of a 30 second routine. It's probably harder than being an NFL referee.

It's a long haul building skills over years and it's just the beginning (assuming based on baby teeth comment). If her skills are solid and she's working hard, it will clear itself up over the course of time.

Try not to let that bother you. I don't believe the judges give out "cute points" but what your daughter can do is get the judges attention to really watch her routine. Imagine being a judge and watch maybe 50-60 of the exact same routine over and over in a session. What the gymnast must do is get the judges attention make them realize that they are different than the rest. So with your DD looking "cute"", maybe it draws them into her, but then maybe it's also charisma that wakes up the judges or that little extra "umph" she gives.

The compulsory coaches on our team tell the gymnasts to make the judges notice you

Trust me, if your DD fell, she would get the same deduction as any other gymnast that fell.

My little one turned 6 before her 1st L4 meet, and had chubby baby cheeks and curly pigtails. While she was ADORABLE (might be a little biased here, lol) - she scored a whopping AA of 24 something (that would be 2-4, not 3-4)- I don't think there were any 'cute points' given that day!!

Just ignore the rude comments!

I've heard similiar things. I just usually respond with a smile and say all of the girls on our team are little and cute, because they are. In your case, I would add that I had not noticed the other kids scores, but it looked like they all had a great season.

My guess is that these types of comments stem more from insecurity than envy, and that the other mom would have been pleased to hear that her daughter was cute and did well too.

I've heard people say that too. Dare I admit my own daughter has complained about it! I always tell her to just move on, it all evens out.

What is funny, is that the ones that say this (my daughter included) only pick out the girl/girls who are scoring big, when truth be told, there are so many cute little girls doing the same routine, yet not all are getting accused of getting cute points :eek:
I'm not sure how to take a recent comment by a parent, but my initial reaction was annoyed, so I'm looking for a bit of reason from all you normal not crazy gym parents...

My little dd has had a great season getting many high scores and first places - another parent said to me, to my face, "she gets great scores because she gets all of those cute points." While I think its nice that she thinks my dd is cute, I think she earned those high scores with hard work and focus. She went on to say something about pig-tails and baby teeth (she hasn't lost any teeth yet) boost her scores. I just kind of half-smiled and said nothing.

How would you react?

I'd say..."Oh, I didn't realize you thought your daughter wasn't cute." :D Seriously though, you did the right thing. Just ignore the odd/rude/jerky comments, they will unfortunately come from everywhere in reference to everything. Just smile and back away slowly.

I LOVE this!! Honestly, what will some people NOT say to make themselves feel better? I too would not know what to say. But that line is too cute! If I get the nerve I will use it!!

How about the, "My DD is older, the older girls just DON'T get those high scores!" What??? I have seen plenty of older gymnasts get higher scores. However this mom's DD is a level 6, and as far as I know level 6 is just a TOUGH level! No age group gets a high score because the routines are so technical and they look for each skill and dance to be done just right...

I think it's possible, like another poster said, that cuteness makes judges notice you more. That can be good and bad of course! I don't believe for a second they get "bonus points", but a good routine maybe gets noticed more. My dd was an old L4 this year and said something to that effect. But really, I've also seen the little ones score super-low. It all evens out. I'm sure your dd worked hard for those points, and congrats to her on a great season!

And when it comes right down to it... she was just jealous!

Answering this from a Judge's point of view, none of the judges I know give "cute points" or aren't as harsh with deductions because of how cute or tiny a gymnast looks.
If a gymnast stands out to me (whether she's 'cute' or tiny or wearing a damn good leo) you can bet I'm gonna be looking for places to take deductions! Because that's my job!
I'd continue to ignore the comments, at least other parents are taking notice that your dd is doing well :)

As a judge (T&T, not artistic, but whatever)...I don't give cute points. This is going to sound kind of awful, but at that moment they don't really register, if that makes sense. I don't so much see the kid as the backhandsprings or whatever. Their adorability or lack thereof doesn't even register until awards when I'm like "oh. That's the one with the really nice back tuck. Huh. Cute kid".

(I also barely watch warmups, because I know what I'm like & if a kid is struggling in warmup and then brings it during the meet, my coach and "kids are great" inclination would be to reward that & that's not how judging works).

One thing that was said to me that could possibly be relevant is that my *super tall for an 8 yo* dd is at a slight disadvantage to her petite compact baby-fat toting competitors in that because her lines are longer even the slightest of form breaks are noticeable, where as with the tiny girls it can sometimes be difficult to discern slight arm bends- especially on bars. I was told that with my little one's long and lean legs that the smidgenest bend is visible and that the ones who still have fatty deposits can sometimes have their bends masked by those fatty deposits. In any event- dd is quite a perfectionist, especially at competitions, so she knows doing any skill with correct form is more important than simply doing the skill. Experience and maturity will eventually even out the playing field as the kiddos progress through the levels, regardless of body type or size.

Last edited:
I LOVE this!! Honestly, what will some people NOT say to make themselves feel better? I too would not know what to say. But that line is too cute! If I get the nerve I will use it!!

Back when DD was a level 5, we were at a meet and on floor all DD's teammates were scoring around 8.2. So one of the parents kept saying how hard the scoring was. Then DD went and scored 9.1 or 9.2, so that same parent says to me, "oh it looks like the judges eased up on the scoring". I turned around and said, "they didn't ease up on the scoring, she did a cleaner routine". He had no answer for that. It actually felt good to say it, because he was really bugging me with the complaining about the scoring...especially while it was real obvious why they were scored in the low 8's.

Back when DD was a level 5, we were at a meet and on floor all DD's teammates were scoring around 8.2. So one of the parents kept saying how hard the scoring was. Then DD went and scored 9.1 or 9.2, so that same parent says to me, "oh it looks like the judges eased up on the scoring". I turned around and said, "they didn't ease up on the scoring, she did a cleaner routine". He had no answer for that. It actually felt good to say it, because he was really bugging me with the complaining about the scoring...especially while it was real obvious why they were scored in the low 8's.

Good for you for having the guts to say it!

Frankly, that would piss me off :rolleyes:

I have such a low tolerance for parents complaining about scores and making up excuses as to why so and so got a better one or their gymmie deserved a higher one. There is one Mom in particular at our gym who does this loudly at meets (who I also happened to have a rather heated discussion with about this a few weeks ago, but that is a whole other thread ;)).

Here's how I feel about it. Look, my kid is in L4, who cares what the scores are. Don't try and figure out the deductions, you will drive yourself crazy and take all the fun out of it for you and your kid. Don't compare your kid to the other kids. Just sit there and enjoy watching your child do gymnastics, praise her hard work and dedication and ability to go out there in front of people and have them rip apart a 30 second routine that they spend X hours a week training - a routine that the child probably thinks deserves a 10. Don't go and rip it apart for them, too.

And don't undermine the accomplishments of a kid who did an amazing routine and deserved an awesome score! I watched a little girl make the L4 floor routine look like it was choreographed specifically for her this season and she deserved every tenth of the 9.8 she received. It was stunning and I clapped right along with the parents from her team. If it's good, it's good. And that gymnast deserves to be congratulated, whether they're my kid, another kid from our gym or any other gym. And this is coming from me, a mom who repeatedly watches her kid come in the bottom third of the pack. And if they're giving out cute points, I know my DD's score would be higher because her hair looks gosh-darn adorable with those ribbons and glitter....doesn't it deserve an extra .10???? :D

Ok, that was my rant...hope it was relevant. And btw 2gymmies - your little one has had a great season and I am sure she has worked hard for all of the great scores she has received. Good for her!

In a nutshell "Cute Points" could only be part of the "Artistry and presentation". You usually only see that on beam and floor. I'm pretty sure they only have about .3 to play with on that so if they get them, they must have presented their cuteness very well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back