Daughter moving up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is fairly new to gymnastics. She did 2 rec. classes then went to preteam. She then went to level 3 and competed for the fall and has also competed this spring as a level 3 (has one more meet). My daughter could have moved to level 4 after the fall season but chose to compete one more season as a level 3 because she was still new to competing and I also felt scoring a little higher would be good for her confidence. Her first season she scored an average of 5th AA. This past season she has done amazing. In 3 of the 4 meet she has scored 1st AA, and at the last meet scored first in everything but 2nd on floor. She has a lot of natural ability and absolutely loves gymnastics. She is 9 and I think it may have been a good thing she was a little older starting because she has not had time to get tired of it because she has not been doing it for years. Anyways, just wanted to give a little background on my daughter since I am new on here! My question is that her HC told me a few weeks ago that she wants to move her up to level 5 for the summer. My daugher has been getting a little bored lately in class and already has all the level 4 skills as well as some of the level 5 and 6 skills but is this jump going to be hard on her? I know from reading on here that kips are hard to learn and I do not want her to get frustrated. I DO want her to be challenged but not to the point where it is overwhelming. Just wanted your thoughts on this and wonder if anyone whose daughters may have done this could tell me how your daughters did with it? Thanks in advance!

I think she will be fine- DD just completed a Level 3 season and the coaches are uptraining Level 5 skills right now in the off season to all the girls- the girls who get their kip, front hip circle, and RO 2 BHS and a few other skills will move to 5 skipping Level 4 altogether. I think a lot of coaches see Level 3 and Level 4 necessary building blocks for some but not all of the team girls. I would ask your DD and see what she thinks- chances are if she has Level 5 and 6 skills she will enjoy Level 5 much more than Level 4- and probably do pretty well too!

She definitely will be fine. Many gyms don't even compete L4 and below. There is an advantage to starting gymnastics (team) a little bit later, and that is that the older girls have a longer attention span, can follow directions better and have a better understanding of their body shapes, etc. A girl at one of our local gyms didn't even START team until she was 12, and has now gotten a gymnastics scholarship to Alabama for next year. Granted, she was amazing and moved through the levels really quickly, but it CAN be done!

Thanks guys.....she has her RO BHS (can do lots of them in a row and they really look good now!) Just got her front hip circle a couple weeks ago but does not have her kip. She is very hard on herself and when there is a skill she does not have it drives her nuts till she gets it! LOL!

My dd competed level 3 then skipped level 4 and went to level 5 and it wasn't a problem. It will take a little while to learn the kip but she should be fine since she has all summer to work on them. Good luck:)

my DD started gymnastics when she was just 10...she did rec for a couple of months then was invited into our team program as a level 5. She didn't have all of her level 5 skills at the time but worked with them and they quickly developed. The kip is tough,but keep it light and just remind her to be patient. This season was my DD's first season in competition and she finished the year taking 3rd on bars, 4th on beam and 4th AA at states. Not too bad for the first year!! I highly recommend it!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back