Dealing with Front Handspring Mental Block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

Izzie

Okay, so I used to have my front handspring 20% of the time on any floor about 5 years ago... The 80% of the time I didn't land it, I ended up flat on my back in dear pain. Thanks to that, I am now PETRIFIED to do a front handspring without spot. It's so bad that if my coach asks me to do one without spot, you can literally tell by my voice that I definitely don't want to.
The fear is very little when vaulting, persistent on Tumbl Trak, and horrid on floor.

I mean, I know that now I can land it properly at least 90% of the time (Can't even tell the difference between being spotted or not on it), but that only reason I'm afraid if because I know that the 10% of times I don't land it, I'll be in so much pain- flat on my back.

Do you have any suggestions to overcome this fear? What did you do yourself, or still do about mental blocks?

gymnast

hi
I would say that if you land it most of the time then try and just go for it without stopping and thinking.
I hope I helped!!

I think you need to go back to drills and get so that you land on your feet 100% of the time. Do lots of front limbers and fronthandsprings over barrel mats and get spotted on floor and tumbl trak. Make sure you have a good run and aggressive hurdle and that you kick your back leg over really hard. Hope this helps! :)

I think you need to go back to drills and get so that you land on your feet 100% of the time. Do lots of front limbers and fronthandsprings over barrel mats and get spotted on floor and tumbl trak. Make sure you have a good run and aggressive hurdle and that you kick your back leg over really hard. Hope this helps! :)

Drills?! I've never been given front handspring drills in my life!
When I don't land on my feet, I always land on my butt but that's because I'm being spotted.

Barrel mats... Hmm, I don't think I've seen any in my gym :|

I'll try working on my run/hurdle though, thanks!

I would say do drills to and go back to the basics of front handsprings like gymnastgets10 said. Also if you have pit at your gym do some off the floor into the pit to get the feel of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back