deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if you would get a deduction if you can see a bra strap or your undies??
Also how many points will be deducted if you woble like the tiniest bit??
thanks

I was wondering if you would get a deduction if you can see a bra strap or your undies??
Also how many points will be deducted if you woble like the tiniest bit??
thanks

yes they can deduct for that (at least that is what our gym coaches tell us) I am told too they can deduct for earings if there is more than one and if they are dangle and not simple studs. No nail polish I'm told. I can't remember anything else right now but there are a few more "non gymnastic" things deductions I'm told can be taken for.

I have heard the same items can be included for deductions - bras/underwear showing, earrings that are not studs, and nailpolish.

Non gymnastics deductions

Non gymnastics deductions, that's crazy to me! Seriously what does it matter if a gymnast is wearing fingernail or toe polish? If one gymnast does not have her ears pierced, one does, and one has her ears pierced twice? What about having different colored stripes of hair? What about tattooes on male or female gymnasts? In my opinion, these rules need to change as today's society has. One's appearance has nothing to do with one's performance! Why are we allowing the gymnasts to be literally judged so superficially?

On one hand, I agree that it is crazy for these type of deductions, and we have been discussing this at dd's gym. On the other hand, I can understand where some of it is coming from (now)

The finger/toe nail polish is a rule b/c if there is an injury, they want to see circulation to the extremeties, and it is difficult to do if the girls are wearing polish (at least, this is what I was told)
dangly/large or multiple earrings can be a safety issue...seriously, I guess its a wonder they even let them wear post earrings!!
The tight bodysuits and no underclothes showing, I was told this was a body-lines thing...bulk and bumps and wrinkles in the fabric can detract from the clean lines that the judges like to see.

Whether this is at all true or not, and whether we think its nuts or not, "rules is rules" I guess...

The finger/toe nail polish is a rule b/c if there is an injury, they want to see circulation to the extremeties, and it is difficult to do if the girls are wearing polish

Thank you for explaining that, now I understand and agree that rule makes medical sense!

In reality, I think judges rarely take these deductions. I believe they are only taken after a warning, so you'll know if you're being deducted for it. One meet where I was working there was a girl whose underwear were majorly hanging out on floor--like you could see the top of her underwear, not just the bottom seam. Anyway, the judges debated saying something ended up not doing anything. I think the rules are meant to deal with situations when the undergarment is shown in an obvious way, not when you can catch a glimpse because the gymnastic is stretching and moving.

The reason for the earrings being a deduction is simply safety. My dd's coach (who has been coaching a very long time) told me a story of a girl who was wearing earrings and she fell on a certain skill and the metal post backing on the earring bent and punctured a nerve in her neck and left her face paralyzed. Yes--it was a freak accident but THAT is why they institute that earring rule or precaution.

There are also deductions for adjusting your leo (picking your wedgie) and brushing the hair out of your face during a routine. These deductions may seem silly but it is all about the OVERALL PRESENTATION of the routine.

Nail polish, over excessive glitter use, piercings other than studs in the earlobes (only one pair, no dangles, no cartilage or facial piercings), underwear that does not match skin tone or leotard, or bra strap showing can all be deductions. Gymnasts must be warned first by the head judge of the meet before receiving a deduction. I am not sure on the deduction, however.
And yes, a leotard pickage of the grundee will give you .1 tenth each pull during a routine. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back