Dilemma

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so the high school gymnastics season is over :( but i need to keep training all year so that I can be amazing for my senior year. :)
I cant afford to be on team and I'm way too old.
I have to choose between these two options:

A 1 1/2 hour class once a week with coaches and people around my skill level

or

A 1 hour class 2-3 times a week with no coaches and I could just go work on whatever i wanted.

I want to do whatever will make me the best gymnast. Also at home everyday I will stretch and condition a little.

Thanks!
<3

Do you think you would be able to push yourself without a coach to motivate you? I know that a lot of gymnasts are very self motivated, but with a coach there to push you you usually get more accomplished. but the the time definatly influences things, so I can't really give you advice on that! Good luck!

is it like an open gym??the 2-3 classes for an hour, because most open gyms coaches can offer you advice on stuff.

I am self motivated but of course a coach would be a little more motivating.

And yes it is an open gym but there are oodles of people so the coaches cant really help.

Can you possibly combo the two? Take the 1 1/2 class to work on new skills and form. Then do an open gym once a week to practice what you were taught at class. Similar to how personal training works at a gym... you see the personal trainer once-a-week or once-a-month and in the interim do the sets that have been outlined for you. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would take into account that there are sometimes things you can't learn without a coach (or a helpful teammate): sometimes you're doing something wrong but you have no idea how to fix it, or you don't even know you're doing it wrong. Also, new skills would be hard to learn without instruction, especially if you'd need drills or a spot at first. So I would go to the class and, if possible, also come to open gym once a week.

I like CreateMagic's idea. I know around here, the Open gym really isn't a very good option IF you're really trying to improve skills. The Coaches are there to supervise everyone, and little kids are running all over the place, so it's dangerous to try to vault, work on beam skills... welll everything I guess. Then you've got the "martial arts" guys who seem to always take over the spring floor (seen this happen at several DIFFERENT open gyms... I mean different CLUB's open gyms!)

I think you need a coach--you can't (or shouldn't) be working higher level skills without a coach there to spot you--and even tell you what you're doing wrong.

My own DD--Sami--finished her high school season now too. She'll be taking a class at gymnastics twice a week to keep up (hopefully improve) her skills over the off-season.

Could you possibly join a YMCA type program for gymnastics? Ys are generally much cheaper than private gyms and do have scholarship programs for individuals who can't afford it...I think you would be better in a program (whatever you choose) that has some structure and a coach.

I don't know why I didn't 'mention this when I posted earlier, but is there something like a Prep Optional team you could join? The training hours and cost are definitely much lower than the regular JO team programs. And you'd have some good coaching and plenty of time between now and next season to improve your skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back