WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The thing is that if parents admit that a coach's behavior is abusive or questionable, then they would have to look in the mirror and think about why they are allowing that kind of treatment of their children. You try to justify it. So some would rather stay in denial. We left our gym because circumstances changed, but I was probably thinking about it for two years due to coach behavior. Why didn't we leave? It was a combination of it being "too hard" or so I thought, and thinking "maybe it's not so bad" because I was still a newbie parent and had stars in my eyes. Had we not been forced, I'd like to say I'd have erred on the side of healthy and left anyway, but I just don't know. The truth hurts, believe me - I'm not proud of this. I think that the Twistars parents and gymnasts might have a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome to be honest.

Actually, I think he was actually really good at actual treatment, as well as designing rehab and prehab exercises. This is just one of the things that allowed him to continue in his positions for so long. Many, many athletes have credited his techniques for helping them overcome injuries (before they realized they were abused). This probably provided the perfect cover for him to do all of the abuse. It appears he did both legitimate treatment AND abuse. In addition, he had so many other doctors, healthcare professionals, coaches, athletic trainers, etc groomed and fooled as well. They would refer athletes to him and they would get better, so they sent more athletes to him, and the cycle continued. A depraved genius, but a genius none the less. Unbelievable that he chose to use his giftedness to hurt instead of to help.

Thank you - that makes some more sense then - obviously in NO WAY does this excuse ANYTHING, but it does clear up why USAG/MSU/etc kept him around and tried to protect him.

The thing is that if parents admit that a coach's behavior is abusive or questionable, then they would have to look in the mirror and think about why they are allowing that kind of treatment of their children. You try to justify it. So some would rather stay in denial. We left our gym because circumstances changed, but I was probably thinking about it for two years due to coach behavior. Why didn't we leave? It was a combination of it being "too hard" or so I thought, and thinking "maybe it's not so bad" because I was still a newbie parent and had stars in my eyes. Had we not been forced, I'd like to say I'd have erred on the side of healthy and left anyway, but I just don't know. The truth hurts, believe me - I'm not proud of this. I think that the Twistars parents and gymnasts might have a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome to be honest.

There is also that belief/perception that this is “how it is” in gymnastics and those parents probably assume that its the same at every gym, so why bother moving. The parents were groomed along with their children, and I’m sure that many of them, looking back, realize it wasn’t right and probably feel like it is their fault.

One of the parents in a Facebook group whose daughter is at Twistars made the statement, “I just have a hard time believing any of that about John.” That statement from many probably allowed Nassar to abuse so many for as long as he did. Girlfriend needs to listen to Lindsey Lemke and do a little research!

Tell me about it. If there was absolutely no truth to what Lemke has said, Geddert could potentially go after her for both slander (statement in court this week) and libel (quotes in the article this week)

I wish Jordyn would have called Geddert out during her testimony

I think Jordyn has done plenty in coming forward in this venue with the strong words she had for Nassar, USAG, and the USOC.

Waiting for Aly feels oddly like waiting for her to go on floor at a big meet. I know she's going to slay. But I am most impressed with the girls who've chosen to testify even though they are still teenagers. Wow.

I hope everyone recognizes how unusual the space this judge has created is within our legal system. It's turning into almost a truth and reconciliation space.

I think Jordyn has done plenty in coming forward in this venue with the strong words she had for Nassar, USAG, and the USOC.
I hope everyone recognizes how unusual the space this judge has created is within our legal system. It's turning into almost a truth and reconciliation space.
I wasn't being critical of Jordyn at all. It was more of a wishful thinking.

I just found out this morning that an acquaintance of mine is close friends with the prosecutor. My acquaintance and I were talking about how amazing the judge is and that the victim impact statements being part of the plea deal is brilliant and compassionate. I only hope that that each of these sister survivors who have spoken out begin to heal. I hope that this speaking of truth allows these girls and women to understand that they are not alone, and that they will continue to come together, support each other and continue to heal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back