WAG Dislike towards Xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Despite a thriving Xcel team making up over half the team, our head coach/gym owner seems to think we our ‘less than’ for being xcel. We our discouraged from attending states and regionals with high fees, given less of her attention, and given different, cheaper leos. Our level 1s got the long sleeved rhinestoned leos while our golds received the short sleeved sequined ones. She refers to us as recreational. She has actively used xcel as an insult ‘If you want to act like that, go be xcel and play around.’ That group was a mixed group, with the hardest working gymnasts being xcel. She only gets excited about xcel gymnasts when she thinks she can get them to move to Dev. The main coach, and most of the others don’t share this veiw, which is why I stick around, but it’s still extremely frustrating and insulting.

This post is a little confusing. You refer to head coach and main coach. As far as the complaints about keeping costs down for xcel that actually seems to be a good thing. The derogatory comments on the other hand, are probably not appropriate.

This post is a little confusing. You refer to head coach and main coach. As far as the complaints about keeping costs down for xcel that actually seems to be a good thing. The derogatory comments on the other hand, are probably not appropriate.
The head coach/gym owner is often a floater coach, while the main coach is the senior most other coach, and is the one I have primarily. I apologize for the confusion.

Xcel is designed to be a less expensive, less intensive program so it makes sense for the leos to be less expensive (tank vs full sleeve) and not wanting to spend money on the coaches going to state/regionals as well as reducing expenses for the families. I disagree with the state meet but regionals can be a huge expense if it is not close. The HC/owner's attitude toward Xcel (recreational, threatening the DP team with demotion to xcel) is the most concerning and as a parent, I would probably be looking for another gym

In some areas, Xcel doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves. There are some great gymnasts in Xcel who have a balanced life while still being able to compete. If your primary coach is good, I would try focusing on all the benefits of being in Xcel and not worry too much what others think. It's a good program!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back