Parents Doctor "clearance"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Basically the doctor not clearing the gymnast if they are fully healed is so that you can't sue if the injury recurs.
So going back to gym would be like leaving the hospital against medical advice. It is a risk that needs to be considered carefully.

Reactions: SMH
Basically the doctor not clearing the gymnast if they are fully healed is so that you can't sue if the injury recurs.
So going back to gym would be like leaving the hospital against medical advice. It is a risk that needs to be considered carefully.
Kk that is what I thought. One gymnast was out 6 months which was what doctor recommend and when she went back for follow up he said she was "healed" but told her to quit.

What happens if no doctor technically clears your child to go back to gymnastics. What do you do then.
you really just need a doctor acknowledgement that the injury has healed. Decisions at that point are made between the parent, child, and the gym. Depending on the type of injury, it may be worh getting opinions from other professionals - sports drs, PTs, etc to be in a better position of whether it is time to find another sport. Some drs absolutely hate gymnastics and are quick to steer kids away from it.

you really just need a doctor acknowledgement that the injury has healed. Decisions at that point are made between the parent, child, and the gym. Depending on the type of injury, it may be worh getting opinions from other professionals - sports drs, PTs, etc to be in a better position of whether it is time to find another sport. Some drs absolutely hate gymnastics and are quick to steer kids away from it.
Thx...my daughter is still in the healing process...but is seeing the same doctor my friends daughter said and was told to just quit that why would you out your body through this...now I am in full blown panic

We don't all hate gymnastics! ;)

Thx...my daughter is still in the healing process...but is seeing the same doctor my friends daughter said and was told to just quit that why would you out your body through this...now I am in full blown panic
Just focus on working with the doctor to make sure this specific injury is healed. You don't need their "permission" per se to return, but you do want to understand the healing arc of the injury, what ever limitations there may be both in the short and long term so that you can begin to re-engage in activity slowly.

Many Dr's won't give you clearance to return to gymnastics because of the aforementioned liability, but they should clear you from wearing a cast, using crutches, potentially offer PT (which I feel all should pursue to rebuild lost strength and regain mobility and confidence), etc. Definitely use pain as a guide as well. A pretty simple policy of "if it hurts, don't do it" can go a very long way. Healing takes time, but it doesn't mean you can't do anything either. Make wise choices about activities and go slowly.

I would be seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions - not so that you can hear what you want to hear but so you can make an informed decision. I just looked back for what injury your dd's injury. You didn't mention in the original post about the extent of her injury and with vertebrae fractures extent of injury creates a completely different ballgame. While that area should heal and be stronger, she may be putting stress on other areas of the spine, particularly if she loses flexibility long term.

Honestly, for an injury like this, I would be trying to figure out which ortho's the local collegiate gymnastics teams use and see if you can get consult with them.

I would be seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions - not so that you can hear what you want to hear but so you can make an informed decision. I just looked back for what injury your dd's injury. You didn't mention in the original post about the extent of her injury and with vertebrae fractures extent of injury creates a completely different ballgame. While that area should heal and be stronger, she may be putting stress on other areas of the spine, particularly if she loses flexibility long term.

Honestly, for an injury like this, I would be trying to figure out which ortho's the local collegiate gymnastics teams use and see if you can get consult with them.
I am not rushing back but considering the docs I am up against I want to have my bases covered. My next step was to seek out collegiate advice because I know I am not going to get any guidance.

Reactions: sce
Find a different doctor.

I am open for suggestions on sports doctors not just orthopedics
Went there they told us to quit even before truly seeing reports

I am not a doctor of any sort. And you don't have to report any details at all on your daughters personal history.

But without more detail about what happened and what injury occurred no one can really comment. In fact for all we know, the answer may actually be to stop.................

Unfortunately I have not lived in the area in a long time. It was over 15 yrs ago, when I last saw a doc in that area, he happened to be a doc for the Knicks/Rangers.

So we both could google just as well as GymDad9.9.

Again there are plenty of docs in NYC.

Also folks at the gym, including the coaches, probably have docs they deal with. I would be shocked to find that docs the gyms use would be quick to hit the just stop button. Unless there was a very good reason.

I am going through something similar with my DD (elbow OCD). She was "cleared" 5 months post surgery, elbow healed great, orthopedic doesn't think she should do gymnastics because she is 12 and this happened and it wasn't good. And, by the way, we went to him because he is a very recognized sports surgeon. When I told him she is going to go back, he gave me a bit of a stink eye, and told me "Well none of us have a crystal ball. Come back if you need us." Oh, and he didn't rule out any other sports that would include arms by the way (like rock climbing, which my dd loves). That was it! So I did a ton of research, found a good PT, and my DD is slowly going back. I also may talk to another doctor along the way but not sure yet (have seen 3 along the way, and they have all been "hesitant" regarding gymnastics, but some were prior to knowing much about all of tis). DD has no pain, and her PT has been amazing (I would so recommend finding a PT you can trust), her coaches have been great and understanding and helping with appropriate progressions, and she is going slow working her skills back. As a mother, I have doubted myself for allowing my DD to do this, but when I stop to think it through, the doctor is right, there is no crystal ball, and many girls have made it back to gymnastics after this same issue. My advice is if you have done your research, consulted multiple doctors/medical sources, and talk to here coaches, and also listen to your gut a bit, you will get to an approach that makes sense. But in some instances, no one else is going to map out a plan for you, which surprised me when I figured this out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back