Parents Does anyone else's child wear contacts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

needcoffee

Proud Parent
DD has awful eyes, current prescription is +6 and getting worse. My dodgy genetics fault. :D she's been asking for contacts for awhile for gym, but I wasn't sure if she was too young, until talking to another mum who's dd has had them since she was 8. DD is 10.

She's been going to gym had blind for awhile now as her glasses just fall off on most events, but I guess it's time to look into contacts for her. Does anyone else's child wear them? How do they go with them? Can they put them in themselves? I don't actually take her to gym on school days, she goes straight from school so would need to be able to master it herself. She's also a total airhead, and I worry about her losing them, especially at the cost of them.

Any tips or advice?

My DD (9) has contacts but prefers her glasses. She has been wearing glasses since she was 2 and got her contacts a year ago. I think she has only worn them to gym twice. The dr would not let her get contacts if she couldn't put them in herself. I would send her with eyedrops and her glasses in case she gets chalk in her eyes. You could try daily contacts but they cost more for everyday wear and are harder to put in. But, it isn't a big deal if she looses them. Good luck!

My DD (9) has contacts but prefers her glasses. She has been wearing glasses since she was 2 and got her contacts a year ago. I think she has only worn them to gym twice. The dr would not let her get contacts if she couldn't put them in herself. I would send her with eyedrops and her glasses in case she gets chalk in her eyes. You could try daily contacts but they cost more for everyday wear and are harder to put in. But, it isn't a big deal if she looses them. Good luck!

My dd has had contacts dince she was 9. I had to help her the first 2 weeks then she caught on. She is 14 now. Only problem we have had is the occasional pice of foam pit getting behind one but that is rare. She started wearing them for gym only but within a month decided she liked them better.

Dd has had them for gym since she was 7. Helped immensely. I still put them in for her. She can take them out and practices putting them in herself.

Hard part was finding a doctor willing to prescribe them to a child that young.

My dd starred wearing them at age 9. It took some convincing for the Optometrist to give her a chance. He gave her a two week trial. She had to come in in two weeks and be able to put them in on her own for him to agree to give her a script for them. She passed with flying colors!! She was motivated and not a fan of glasses. We went with daily disposable lenses. They are harder to put in because they are very thin, but the benefits of a daily lens are huge- no cleaning necessary and no lost lenses ever! They are more expensive but, I think, worth it.

My DD is on her second year of contacts, she is 10 (but will be 11 soon). She really, really likes wearing contacts for gym. Her eyesight isn't quite as bad as your DDs but bad enough to where she needs to wear either glasses or contacts at gym and the glasses get in the way (and I'm afraid of them breaking, those things can be pricey!).
She does very well with the contacts, she's responsible and really good about the cleanliness and care.
We do have one girl who wears glasses every day, she has them on with a tight strap and that seems to be working fine for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back