"Doughnut" for Bun?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Quadqueen

Proud Parent
Has anyone ever used one of the doughnut-shaped sponge-y things to make bun? I saw a You Tube video showing you how to use one, and I bought one today, since they are only $3. DD's hair is quite thin, and it "looks" kind of cool, but I just wonder if this thing will stay in in a meet?? It looks HUGE!!! Of course, DD loves it and says it's no problem to do a back extension roll with it (her problem with regular buns).

I have not used it, but one of dd's teammates does. The mother uses tons of spray and secures the bobby pins into place with a scrunchie over the whole thing. She does not use a bun net thing that many other gymmies use. The girls hair always looks great for awards- so it apparently holds well. I had never considered the extension roll- but I haven't heard any complaints. I would suggest having your daughter wear it to practice a few times and see how it performs there before I did it for a meet- just in case you need to make adjustments. I agree that they look cool!

I have one and I love it! Although I don't do gym anymore so can't tell you how well they hold!
However I have noticed that the girls from City of Liverpool wear them to compete a lot and they seem to hold really well.
When I wear mine I get best results when I begin with wet hair - literally soaked straight from the shower hair! Then I use lots of pins and spray. I tend to use new elastics each time too - so they are really tight. I use one for the pony, then wrap another around the bun before securing all the spare hair, then wrap another around once the spare hair is pinned. I don't use scrunchies though. I guess I might use a bun net if I was going to actually do any gym just to make sure!

Thank you! I bought a hair net and I don't know why I try those ever...I have to wrap the thing around her hair so many times it looks ridiculous. But with tons of spray I might not need it :)

DD's gym's annual shows are this week so I told her she could try it for the show and see if it holds.

My dd has used one for years!
Great thing!
Practice a few times.
Loads of pins, hair spray, voila!
Once you have the hair in a pony tail, and put the doughnut over it you can either~
Put the doughnut at the far end of the pony, away from the head and roll it down toward the head then pin (more secure but slightly trickier)
Or just spread the hair evenly around the doughnut with it next to the head, put another hair elastic over the whole doughnut and them tuck stray hair neatly under and pin through the base catching hair elastic, and doughnut each time. (simpler to do, but needs more pins!)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Our long-time hairdresser (who just told me she's retiring! I'm lost... lost, I tell you!) bought one for my gymnast DD because she thought it would be an easy way for me to put her hair into a bun. My gymmie didn't like tumbling in it, however, because she said she felt like she had a pillow on her head! I'm glad I held onto it though, because this past April my dancing DD was bound and determined to wear her hair in a bun for her recital, but she barely had enough hair for a pony tail. The doughnut was easy, and the results were lovely.

Ballet4.jpg

lovely, MaryA!!! LOL on the pillow on her head!! I will see what DD says after doing the show with it in!!

If the bun form you have is too big, you might be able to use a sock. We have done that for dance. You just cut the toe part off of the sock, so that both the top and bottom of the sock are open. Then you roll the sock into a doughnut shape by rolling down from one end to another. You could use a smaller sock to get a smaller bum form. HelloGiggles – DIY Sock Bun

I found a petite donut for my dd and it works really well. I do the pony tail, slip the donut round the pony tail, spread the hair around it, then put another pony tail holder around that and then tuck the hair around the base and finally pin with regular bobby pins and we use a net too. My dd is 7 and the regular donut was HUGE, so see if you can find the petite one. I like it and it is super easy! I like the picture MaryA. :)

ooh, thanks! I'm going to do a search for a petite doughnut!! That sock trick looks easy enough, but for the hair style challenged, not so much ;)

found one on eBay...in China I believe...it will take a while to get here but at least it's not meet season ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back