WAG Elite Schedule and Programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

windydays

Proud Parent
What makes a great Elite program? Whether you are a gymnast, parent, coach, gym owner, or Ranch aficionado, please share your experience with regard to hours trained, coaching expectations, gymnast expectations, overtraining versus undertraining, et cetera. Big interest for us is, If a program has training twice a day, what are the # of hours in that day for training and rest period in between? We want to make sure our DD is getting enough rest/recovery/sleep - getting home at 10:00 pm and getting up at 6:00 am the next day doesn't sound conducive to good training.

Just a thought, but it might be a better idea to evaluate the elite programs that your DD could realistically be a part of. For example, if you have 3 elite gyms within an hours drive, then I would evaluate them and pick the best. They will each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Although my DD is not an elite, we have a gym near us that is totally perfect.....on paper. There are so many things that I love about this gym. But, after my DD went to a workout there, we both knew it was totally wrong for her. Like, end of discussion before it even started. There was just no way. And it seemed like it was going to be such a good fit. So you just don't know until your DD works out there. Something you though was important might end up being something you are willing to overlook, given the overall picture.

Best of luck!

My DD is only 8 years old. I believe she is on the elite path although her coach has never actually stated it. DD was invited to the September Elite Developmental Camp at the Ranch and head coach told my wife and me that this was a great opportunity. I appreciate that the coach has never stated outright "she is training towards elite" because it doesn't put any added pressure on my young gymnast. The things that I think are necessary are these: a daughter who wants it, siblings and parents who can deal with all the training and travel, coaches who are dialed in and know what and when to train, and an older Elite gymnast to learn from. You may have other people who say something different but it is a huge time committment from what I hear.

My DD is in an Elite program but she is only six so trains 12 hours a week with one hour of Ballet extra and once a fortnight a private session for an hour with a coach. so all up she's doing an average of 13.5b hours a week. We drive an hour to our gym which is a problem but its the second largest in the world I think and has the best facilities in the country. Overall I need to manage school for her - tiredness is not really a problem, I make her have a nap in the car and give her a snack on the way there and dinner in the car on the way home.

My daughter is part of a day program that averages out to 29 hours per week, 5 days. They geta 3 hour break to do schoolwork midday. Its been a huge adjustment for us. I would prefer a schedule which works around a regular public school schedule but she loves her gymnastics and I promised her we would give it a try. So far we are happy with her progression at the gym and with school work. Her coaches work around her growth plate injury. It helps to keep her engaged and not fall behind. She goes to bed around 8:30 but doesn't fall asleep right away. We are working on that.

My daughter is part of a day program that averages out to 29 hours per week, 5 days. They geta 3 hour break to do schoolwork midday. Its been a huge adjustment for us. I would prefer a schedule which works around a regular public school schedule but she loves her gymnastics and I promised her we would give it a try. So far we are happy with her progression at the gym and with school work. Her coaches work around her growth plate injury. It helps to keep her engaged and not fall behind. She goes to bed around 8:30 but doesn't fall asleep right away. We are working on that.

Does your daughter school at the gym, or do you bring her home to do that?

She does as much as she can on her own at the gym. When she comes home we finish what she didn't complete and or review. I wish I could be there during the day but I work full time.

She does as much as she can on her own at the gym. When she comes home we finish what she didn't complete and or review. I wish I could be there during the day but I work full time.

Do you send her with work, or does the gym have a "schooling" program?

My DD is home schooled as well. The girls will typically bring in work that they can complete on their own and will complete at home whatever they needed help with. Coaches do not help with the homework. The program that we use has a lot of interaction with her teacher and the teacher works around my DD's schedule. DD has to go into a central location every so often to test and also takes the same standardized tests as regular students. In my experience, the girls from the gym score higher than regular students perhaps because of their discipline level.

We have 2 practices per day 3 days a week for 3 hours each practice. The other days practice is 4 hours. She is home schooled and studies in between and after practice. 5 hours between practices on 2 a days. Our "Elite group" never finishes practices later than 8:30pm but they also don't allow girls in until they've reached level 9.

To answer your first question,"What makes an Elite program?" The coach and smaller groups are the major difference. Elite coaches I've met are the total package. They not only have gymnastics knowledge, but they motivate, push, schedule, counsel, etc.. We are expected to put gymnastics first or at the very least equal the level of commitment of the coach (which is enormous). It is all consuming, but very rewarding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back