England squad for Commonwealth Games?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stillgotmyleotard

Trainee Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Does anyone happen to know when the squad will be announced? It's driving me close to crazy.

Who do you hope to see among it?

Gabby Jupp is back in full training now, but I can't see them putting her in the team, or into any major comps for a while. It's a shame, I love her gymnastics, but it will take quite a while before she is competition ready.

I can't see them changing much from the Europeans - they were pretty successful. Ruby Harrold didn't do as well as hoped and seemed to struggle a bit so , if anything, I'd like to see Kelly Simm get a chance.

But definitely I'd love to see Claudia Fragapane for her floor and vault, Becky Downie for her beam, bars and vault, Kelly Simm for floor and vault. After that I don't mind. They need some of the juniors who can rock floor and beam...

Fully agree with you on Kelly Simm, Flossy. I'd love to see her given a chance, too. I'd also love to see Becky Downie continue her recent form and do well. I love Claudia's vaulting but I am seemingly alone in not being too stuck on her current floor.

I love Hannah Whelan all over again recently and of course, they will have to take Rebecca Tunney after she took the British. There are a few I wish were in better shape for selection, Gabby Jupp being one of them and Charlie Fellows another, but I'm sure they will both get another chance.

Whoever goes, I expect a great competition. Being in the UK will be massive, especially coupled w

They announced the Welsh squad yesterday - strong squad as expected:

Raer Theaker, Angel Romaeo, Georgina Hockenhull, Lizzie Beddoe and Jessica Hogg.

I kept hearing the GB girls say, in interviews in Sofia, that it had really helped them to train as a team for a few weeks. So hopefully announcement soonish?

I'm sure I read somewhere (twitter?) that the English team will be announced on the 14th and the gymnasts already know who is on the team (makes sense) wish they would announce it sooner though - I'm impatient!

I'm sure I read somewhere (twitter?) that the English team will be announced on the 14th and the gymnasts already know who is on the team (makes sense) wish they would announce it sooner though - I'm impatient!

Sorry 17th. And It was on twitter I read that, I've just found the post.

Thanks Marie. That feels like ages away!

It makes sense that the gymnasts know. I know they knew about olympic selection before it was announced. That was tough for those who hadn't been selected, as they had to deal with their disappointment without being supposed to tell anyone outside immediate family and the 'team' were going ahead making plans and later going off to the big reveal event and so on. If they know now they are being very much more private about it and twitter savy.

The Welsh announcement sounds as though it was genuinely an 'announcement' at a dinner do. Don't know if they knew before, but doesn't sound like it.

Louis Smith did tweet the other day something about 'that's life' and got lots of replies saying things like 'onwards and upwards' and 'take it on the chin'. It was long after the business with the Europeans, so it made me wonder if it was commonweaths.

It is a great team :)

Kelly Simm is stronger on floor and vault, which we need, but they will miss Rebecca Tunney's bar score - unless it's only two up or two count? In which case it's better balanced now. I'm sure they wouldn't have left the AA champion behind if she wasn't injured though.

The men's team is very strong too. I wondered if they would be able to call up Nile Wilson as he turned 18 a couple of weeks back. I think they are going to have some great battles with the Scottish team.

It's a really great team! Bars is going to be very difficult to beat!

Tunney has had shoulder surgery (again according to twitter!)

It's a really great team! Bars is going to be very difficult to beat!

Tunney has had shoulder surgery (again according to twitter!)

Well I wouldn't have known at Euros. Her bars looked good! Hope she is back soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back