fear of round off backhandspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I been in gymnastics for a couple of months now and I just stated level 4 . And for my floor routine I need to do a round off backhandspring and I can do it with a spotter , And the spotters barely touch me .
But when I do it by myself I do my round off and then I stop , And then i do my backhandspring . \
any advice ?

maybe you could tell her to not touch at all after a few times, but not tell you when? my coach did for a girl on my team, it seemed to work well for her? or check out headgamas.vs and maybe try a few of their articles? i found the whole visualizing thing super helpful when i was starting standing bhs on floor.

this is pretty common when you are first learning a new skill. my dd had a rough time releasing the spotter, even when the spotter wasn't touching her. just the safety net of having someone there was big for her. they just gradually faded it out. but it took a while. She would do a couple with the spotter touching. then with spotters hands ready but no touch, then just standing there, then 1ft away, 2 ft away, etc. In the beginning, dd had to go through this whole sequence. after a couple weeks, she was ok starting with just having the spotter a couple feet away. She really hates back tumbling and went through the same thing learning her back tuck. And now with the layout too.

you will get this. It just takes more time for some girls to get over the fear.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back