WAG Fear-tell me the truth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This has been informative. Now a twist...she is not afraid to work her back tucks/back layouts on beam. She says she isn't afraid because she won't miss her hands on those skills. Still vestibular? She will do her BHS on middle beam, just not high beam.

Coach stopped letting her work those skills until she gets her basics again (BHS on high beam). HC will not train a tsuk with her because she HAS to do the yurchenko for level 8 with her future training plan in mind.(per coach) Not sure why, since there are other level 8s doing tsuks in our gym. HC also won't allow her to do her FHS on high beam as a replacement for BHS. But I just do as I am told and stay out of "the plan"...

I speculate HC is trying to teach DD to face the fear and be patient rather than run from the skills she is afraid of...

To be clear, she is NOT a level 8 but they uptrain these skills.

Doc Ali addresses theses issues in her "training your mind" download/Cd. She clearly States the fear " I'm going to crash I'm going to get hurt " I'm going to die" and then talks the gymmie through changing those thoughts to " I can do this" change your focus change your face etc. It has worked for my dd and she uses it often! Last week she was having a really bad practice nothing was going right and she "flipped it" :) using Doc Ali tech she knows by heart. She came home very happy and that is a wonderful life lesson. However if it is that vestibular thing the CB coaches are right- that has to work its self out. Either way your dd has plenty of time so best to her and you :)

now take a 3rd child. a child with an inexplicable but very mature vestibular system. has the worst technique and form that a coach has ever seen. so bad that...the coach won't even let the kid attempt a round off>flip-flop. this child 'senses' that no matter what...i'm not scared of what the other 2 are scared of and i'm going anyway even if my coach yells at me and tells my parents. and you all have seen this kid too in your gym.

That is totally my child :hyper:. Fortunately she also will not do anything she hasn't been specifically instructed to do, but the amount of times I've seen her just throw herself without engaging brain and the coach having to take her right back to basic drills. She often says to me that she just *knows* she could do skill x, y and z if they "just let me try it"...

On the other hand, the most obviously talented kid on the team has fear issues, and has always had fear issues. Beautiful form, great potential, but takes a long time on certain skills because of fear. She's always been like this though, it's not a temporary thing. I often wonder whether she will grow out of it, learn to manage it, or it will put her out of the sport all together...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back