WAG First gymnast to be trained to do a high level skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a mother of a level 10 we also had this problem. In our area there are two gyms that have high level optionals, ours and the other gym. When my daughter first started learning releases on bars her coach told us that he didn't feel comfortable teaching them and had her come to the other top gym, where their head coach spotted her and helped her coach learn to spot it safely. This was very helpful for us. If there are any other high level gyms in your area maybe see if they would be able to help!

So I replied to this post, but it got eaten when the site's server was affected recently, so I'll restate what I said.

In my opinion, a coach who is done learning will never be able to take their athletes to their full potential. Learning is an ongoing process, and as a teacher or coach, it is incredibly important to keep learning new methods, strategies and information to better serve your students/athletes. I think learning how to coach high level gymnastics skills is much like learning high level skills as a gymnast; it takes a lot of preparation and patience, not to mention hard work and passion. Me personally, when I am starting to teach a new skill for the first time, I research the crap out of it. I want to make every effort to teach it safely and correctly, and I take a lot of care not to rush my gymnasts through it, as badly as I may want to sometimes.

It makes me mad that your coach seems to think he is beyond help from anyone else. Is his ego so big?! :mad: I take help from anyone I can can! It has made me a better coach!

I'd like to respond to all the posts above and I started to, but realized I'd be giving already too much information and I do not want to further make our HC look too bad because what I've written is only tip of the iceberg. Our HC really frustrates me. There are so many occurrences that make it evident his stubbornness to get more experience for himself and his staff is halting the progress of his gymnasts.

Aero, in my opinion you hit the nail on the head, his youth, immaturity and ego makes him feel he is beyond reproach. But luckily, as he spends more time attending L9 and L10 meets, he is realizing he needs to step up his game. My daughter is his youngest gymnast by 3 years. Having her in the youngest age group in Level 9 and Level 10 and seeing the competition was good for him. Whereas all his other senior gymnasts can place even in the 34s, you need high 36s to 37s to place in my daughter's age group. All our L9s that competed in regionals (half did not compete due to injuries) made it to nationals. But note that all of them are four year level 9s, except for 1 and we are in a weak region where a high 34 could get you to nationals. All our girls scored in the low to mid 35s. So he is really not bad but I think this is his maximum without more training. In addition, all of them have the identical routines and skills. His skill vocabulary is very low but what he knows he seems to do well.

But I also believe experience does not equate to being a good coach. .

Lol! DDs previous coach used to like to tell parents that the gym had " over 100 years of coaching experience ". ( I forget the number of years) . However, I had some problems with the coaches, and asked Dunno privately about it. He basically said the same thing to me!

I ended up changing DD to a gym Dunno recommended, and she is super happy.

So, no gym is perfect, no coach is perfect, do your homework, ask for advice... Is your DD happy? Can she learn falling techniques elsewhere?

I know there is a really fine line but, we do have to advocate for our kids. And coaches need to respect us as parents.

Safety first, right?

Lol! DDs previous coach used to like to tell parents that the gym had " over 100 years of coaching experience ". ( I forget the number of years) . However, I had some problems with the coaches, and asked Dunno privately about it. He basically said the same thing to me!

I ended up changing DD to a gym Dunno recommended, and she is super happy.

So, no gym is perfect, no coach is perfect, do your homework, ask for advice... Is your DD happy? Can she learn falling techniques elsewhere?

I know there is a really fine line but, we do have to advocate for our kids. And coaches need to respect us as parents.

Safety first, right?
I have not seen anybody on chalkbucket contiue to badmouth their old gym like you have for the past year. That must have been an awful place.

I have not seen anybody on chalkbucket contiue to badmouth their old gym like you have for the past year. That must have been an awful place.

No, I have not continued to badmouth DDs old gym. In fact, I have said several times that I was extremely thankful for the things they had done for her. They instilled a love of gymnastics in her and got her started. They also worked really hard to get her through a mental block.

She really loved her coaches. I have also said that. I have also said NO gym is perfect.

But after a really bad year, when it became clear that my daughter was really unhappy, was losing her love of gymnastics, I felt I needed to take the drastic step of moving her to a new gym.

The head coach took it personally that I was moving her and a lot of hurtful things were said to me. Including personal attacks.

The personal attacks continued after I moved my daughter and my daughter has been made to feel uncomfortable at meets, which to me is unforgivable.

So, I choose to vent on a ( hopefully) anonymous board. I know nothing is truly anonymous, but I have never publicly said anything negative about DDs old gym or coaches , and I never will. Out of respect for DD .

Because even though they appear willing to just ignore the fact that they taught her gymnastics from 3 years to 10 years of age - I still respect that. And I am the one who has to console my crying daughter after she sees her old coaches at meets, and they won't even look at her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back